• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gulls for ID, Cornwall, England (1 Viewer)

Brett Richards

United Kingdom
Would appreciate opinions on the gulls in the attached photos, taken at Porthgwarra, 5 September.

Is the first image just a juv Lesser Black-backed Gull? The next 3 images show the same bird. Head and bill look OK for 1cy Yellow-legged Gull, but the tertials would have to be 2nd gen for that species. Is it just a Herring Gull?

Thanks

Brett

Attachments

• 50.jpg
    50.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 88
  • 56.jpg
    56.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 57.jpg
    57.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 59.jpg
    59.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 68
As I'm sure you know Brett, open wing & tail shots always help, but that said, nothing in these images make me think of anything other than 1cy LBBG (that small slim bill!) and Herring Gull for the last 3.
The pedant in me wouldn't call either a juvenile as post-juvenile moult is clearly well underway in those scapulars (in both birds).

I agree with you that the second bird's tertials are consistent with 1cy HeGu rather than YLG, and the primaries are quite short too (for YLG).

Hope you are well btw-long time no see!

Last edited:
long black primaries without pale tips, mike. these kind of notches are possible in LBBG tertials, note however that pale border doesn't reach greater coverts.

no. look carefully. primaries are slightly paler, not jet black, they do have small white tips (crescents on tip) and they are proportionally shorter! of course there are many other things that make it a young herring gull.
as for bird 1 there is hardly anything more than primaries, maybe weak bill and tertial crescents (white borders) not reaching greater coverts.

Thanks Guys for your replies, and Steve, reasonably well thanks, although age is catching up with me now; I don't have the stamina I used to have.

Cheers

Brett

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back