• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

gulls (9 Viewers)

a very pale eyed cach with very much white in wingtip (p9 mirror almost as large as p10 mirror and on p9 connected to the tongue).
is that one of the possible breeding candidates? no possibility at dridu lake or mabe at one of the isles at ulmu-lake or adjacent reservoirs?
nice to see something from muntenia in the summer "hole" (regarding gull pics and obs. e.g. on GRF)

cheers

but you know that adults can turn up anytime anywhere, lots of nonbreeders...

on the other hand it would be very unlikely that it doesn't breed somewhere around bucharest ;)

Yellow-legged Gull eating a pigeon - Constanta (Romania), June 21st 2012.

Attachments

• P6218511m.jpg
    P6218511m.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 63
  • P6218515m.jpg
    P6218515m.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 61
  • P6218525m.jpg
    P6218525m.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 59
Two more pics with michahellis taken on June 22nd in Constanta. I have some more pics with juveniles, but I haven't managed to prepare them for web.

Attachments

• P6228607m.jpg
    P6228607m.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 59
  • P6228636m.jpg
    P6228636m.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 58
that's a nice example of a recently fledged mich. note how deep ochre/buff and long fringes are, primaries and rectrices not fully grown, head quite uniform dark - although the "mich-mask" is well visible.

i've got a good series of cach pics by j. szabo senior from murigiol (largest and best known pontic gull colony in romania) including some nice fresh juveniles of that species also (which i didn't have very much before in my coll.). unfortunately i can't open them in my photoshop version and converting them with fast stone image viewer from nikon raw to jpgs just killled their quality. got to find another way. maybe with image converter plus? despite of that, here are some redarkened pics of this series:

note the unsual strong subterminal band on p10 in the adult (first pic), and the dark pattern of head and underwing in the 2 flying juvs

Attachments

• _DSC0206 - Kopie - Kopie.jpg
    _DSC0206 - Kopie - Kopie.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 62
  • _DSC0207 - Kopie - Kopie - Kopie.jpg
    _DSC0207 - Kopie - Kopie - Kopie.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 63
  • _DSC0261 - Kopie - Kopie.jpg
    _DSC0261 - Kopie - Kopie.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 53
  • _DSC0275 - Kopie - Kopie.jpg
    _DSC0275 - Kopie - Kopie.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 54
  • _DSC0279 - Kopie - Kopie.jpg
    _DSC0279 - Kopie - Kopie.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Lou, I will try to send you by transfer.ro some original pics taken in Constanta on June 22nd (three fresh juveniles michahellis - brothers; interesting - it seems that one of the parents was a 3cy bird).

hard to believe the 3cy was one of the parents...

note these axilliaries in a juv cach (murighiol, 26.6.2012, j.szabo sen.):

Attachments

• _DSC0268 - Kopie - Kopie.jpg
    _DSC0268 - Kopie - Kopie.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Watching from Rumps Point Cornwall last evening I was intrigued and puzzled by this passing juvenile Gull (photo) First impressions were of a large (larger than local Herring Gulls) with moderately long wings, smallish flat crowned head, all dark tail with wide dark bars to upper-tail coverts, the uniform brown head and body strongly suggested ‘smithsonianus’ though the under-tail coverts showed no strong barring suggesting to me perhaps ‘atlantis’ that said there is no way you could describe the rump as being whitish. I did manage to scribble a fairly detailed description in the short time the bird was in view and of course I realise this would be an absurdly early date for juvenile ‘smithsonianus’?

Attachments

• IMG_3392.JPG
    IMG_3392.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 76
Watching from Rumps Point Cornwall last evening I was intrigued and puzzled by this passing juvenile Gull (photo) First impressions were of a large (larger than local Herring Gulls) with moderately long wings, smallish flat crowned head, all dark tail with wide dark bars to upper-tail coverts, the uniform brown head and body strongly suggested ‘smithsonianus’ though the under-tail coverts showed no strong barring suggesting to me perhaps ‘atlantis’ that said there is no way you could describe the rump as being whitish. I did manage to scribble a fairly detailed description in the short time the bird was in view and of course I realise this would be an absurdly early date for juvenile ‘smithsonianus’?

More pics?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back