• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

gulls (9 Viewers)

2 unsure, it could also be a polish gal/girl

Thanks chaps.

Polish girl? Yes, I see what you mean. I hadn't even considered it! I'll dig out some more pics. In the flesh, it seemed to have the structure of a YLG.

Yes, the first bird does have some 2nd gen coverts. I should really ask for my comment to be editted.

3rd bird's scapulars: dont know. I'll have a closer look and have a read up...

Thanks again,

Andy.

Last edited:
Hi,

4 more pics of gull 2 attached.

It's amazing how much its profile can change (comapre 1 & 3 to 2 & 4).

Still a YLG in my opinion based on head and bill shape. Eye is not high on the head.

Cheers,

Andy.

Attachments

• 2ndYLGv2.JPG
    2ndYLGv2.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 2ndYLGv3.JPG
    2ndYLGv3.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 2ndYLGv4.JPG
    2ndYLGv4.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 2ndYLGv5.JPG
    2ndYLGv5.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
well, let's say structure, esp. bill looks wrong for cach x tatus. stronge is though its retardedness - some lower scaps missing but not replaced, no visible coverts replaced (but they look very worn).
might well be a mich though. do you think any argentatus could look like this, andy?

If an argentatus could look like this, gulling sucks!

I'm not really seeing Argentatus in this bird (or Argenteus). Bill looks OK (stout, short & rectangular) and the wing coverts show no signs of vermiculations throughout and also note the reddish-brown tinge to them too. In flight this bird was longer winged than the accompanying Herrings and the tail was nice and clean except the black tail band. Does leg colour help?

The 3rd generation scapulars are a darkish grey and the 2nd generation scapulars show that this bird had the typically weaker tranverse bars (double headed anchors) compared to Herring Gull even though they are worn.

But could Argentatus look this way? Perhaps, but on balance I can't see too much wrong with this bird as a Mich. But there are plenty of worn birds out there at the moment and it's more difficult picking out the Michs from the Argies.

Cheers,

Andy.

Hi,

Just want to reconfirm. Are there anything else than HG? Esp. the one on a separate pic. And the rightmost bird as well on the group one
March Moscow photos.

Thanks
Aleksey

Attachments

• ????? IMG_5321_1.jpg
    ????? IMG_5321_1.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5319_1 (1).jpg
    IMG_5319_1 (1).jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 45
hi aleksej,

the right three birds are all caspian gulls or at least in their close relativehood (hybrids, barabensis mix?).
the adult bird (also in the extra pic) looks to have a large p9 mirror, there's a nice big bump behind its yellowish legs, the upright posture and a male cachinnans bill.
the rightmost bird looks to be a 4cy (3rd cycle) cachinnans on plumage.
finally the 2cy between them has a greater coevrts pattern that i strongly associate with cachi.
the three other 2cy all look to be argentatus.

cheers

Hi folks, I`ve tried the usual methods of recovering data on this ringed ( yellow, "2F2B")Herring Gull but to no avail. Do any of the Gull addicts on here have any thought as to where this bird was ringed? It was in NW England recently.

cheers, PeteView attachment 319286

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back