• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gwent birding (2 Viewers)

had a walk over Newtown this morning, plenty of buzzards enjoying the wind and also a Red Kite and a Kestrel. Also plenty of stonechats and quite suprisingly, a Chiffchaff.

Spent yesturday Gulling, first at Silent Valley tip where there were 2 Yellow legged gulls (1ad and a 2nd W) then went upto Garnlydan reservoir for the roost where there were about 6 intermedius Lesser Black Back Gulls and about 50 Black headed gulls but no Yellow legged gull although the light was a bit awkward.

This morning i decided to spend a few hours freezing to death at goldcliff point trying to watch seabirds but there wasn't many to say the least! The highlight was a Skua sp. which was either arctic or pom (i need both for my year list!!! so do i tick both?) and 4 common scoter which were a Gwent tick for me! yippee. I also got good veiws of a merlin sitting on the seawall at boat lane but not alot else. a little stint was reported from goldcliff but i figured they were working there so i didnt bother.

Not a lot about in the wind this evening up the Garnlydan res except for the usual Mipits,Stonechats and Gulls.The highlight being a juvenile male Merlin hunting low over the bog between the res and the forest flushing a common Snipe

A few late autumn rarities got me racing down to Goldcliff this afternoon which lead to me dipping a Pectoral Sand and incredibly a White rumped Sandpiper! I'll give it another go in the morning but i just hope that reserve staff dont decide to start working at the crack of dawn! Also saw the starling roost through the scope over at Uskmouth, looked to be a few Thousand birds displaying nicely. Also at the pools were 3 Curlew Sands, a little stint with a broken leg and a few spotshank and greenshank.

I could go on and have a rant about the rubbish veiwing facilities at the reserve but i'll resist this time!

Last edited:
Spent a few hours down at the wetlands this morning but still no sign of the White rumped Sandpiper, but did get the Pectoral Sandpiper on the Gwent year list plus a rock pipit which i think might be a gwent tick for me? There was also a nice variety of waders about but they didnt hang around to long after sunrise. This mornings most impressive movement of birds were the wood pigeons. There were Thousands, all heading west. Also got 2 Brambling which were my first of the autumn. Uskmouth produced about half a dozen bearded tits which were rather active this morning.

Also found out this morning that there was a Firecrest showing well last tuesday in the bushes opposite the visitor centre (perry lane).

Last edited:
The Carno res and forest was pretty quiet this evening but the weather was crap unsurprisingly.
Did get 3 Brambling,Bullfinch,Wren,Buzzard,Raven and a mixed flock of Redwing and Fieldfare up the top res though.

These arctic winds should really bring in the last of the winter visitors. Its already brought a snow bunting on top of a mountain which probably means walking for miles!

On a different note, the 2007 Bird report is now out, if anyone wants me collect it at Saturdays meeting just ask. The report is £10 to non GOS members.

Also, if you havnt heard already, the Owl sanctuary at the festival park was visited by DEFRA and the RSPCA yesturday and they confiscated about 20 birds and put 2 to sleep. About time if you ask me, but thats jsut my opinion.

Also, if you havnt heard already, the Owl sanctuary at the festival park was visited by DEFRA and the RSPCA yesturday and they confiscated about 20 birds and put 2 to sleep. About time if you ask me, but thats jsut my opinion.

Thats a shame,the kids loved going down there to see the birds.Obviously the birds` welfare must come first and if DEFRA and the RSPCA thought that action was needed then so be it.I will say in the Owl Sanctuary teams` defence though its one hell of a big operation to run out of your own pocket and sadly it showed in the condition of the cages etc.

Unforunatly mike, your veiw is the veiw of many. Did you know they charge £120 per show they attend and looking at the website they have done nearly 60 show so far this year alone. A simple equation will reviel that its not being funded through his own pocket. Plus remember they get thousands through public donations which as they are not a charity, they are effectively begging. It obvious when you walk around the place that something needed to be done, some of the 'cages' there are disgusting!

Simple equation or not mate even two shows a week (£240) and you would struggle to cover the cost of running that place I would have thought let alone your personal living expenses.You know yourself how much the food is.I dont know about the public donations he gets but if you mean the bucket with the loose change he puts out I think thousands is a bit of an exagerration.Dont get me wrong I am not saying that DEFRA and the RSPCA werent wrong to take the birds and I am not trying to defend him but he just had too many birds to cope with IMHO.
Totally agree with you about the cages though and something did need to be done about those.

On a different note very well done on the SNAP comp Luke,great stuff mate!:t:

Very well done to GaryH for getting his superb pic of a GS Woodpecker on the front cover of the 2007 Gwent bird report.Very well deserved mate,nice one!

Friday 7th November 2008

Had a little treat this morning - 3 goldies on my feeders, that's a 1st for the garden !! At one point I had a magpie, coal, blue & great tit on the tree, chaffinch & dunnock on the floor and greenfinch (2) & goldfinch (3) on the feeders at the other feeders.

Now...just need to get them wary bullfinch back here - can hear the goldies as I type this...back to the bathroom !!

:t:

Toured the borough this afternoon to check out some of the waxwing sites from a few years ago. Couldn't find many rowans and what i found had hardly any berries on them. the trees outside the council offices still have quite alot of berries on them so it they arrive soon they will still have a bit of food.

Hi all

I have a plea, knowing that a lot of you go to Newport Wetlands on occasion - has anyone got any habitat-type pictures that can be uploaded into the Opus article?

The current picture won't display big enough unfortunately. The article is nearly complete too;)

D

Unfortunatly i've not got any shots but will get some next time i am there and if the weathers good. I have updated some of the text though.

Unfortunatly i've not got any shots but will get some next time i am there and if the weathers good. I have updated some of the text though.

That's brilliant Luke, thanks - just the Check-list to sort out now

D

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back