• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Habicht for birdwatching? (3 Viewers)

It seems every time somebody talks about the Swarovski Habicht’s my ears start bleeding hearing about the focuser. Buy the one you want, make sure you like the Optics, then send it to Swarovski and have them tweak the focuser.

I am sorry. I'll stop complaining and send them to Austria instead. 😆

I am getting my previously sold 10x40 GA back. Anyway I think the 7x42 would impress you more than the 10x40 does.
Do you think the GA versions are more comfortable in use (especially the eyecups) or do you prefer the lighter leatherette? Or are they both nice the way they are?

I like higher powers, so I am not so sure. But the larger exit pupil, the more DOF and the more 3D view are all appealing.

Do you think the GA versions are more comfortable in use (especially the eyecups) or do you prefer the lighter leatherette? Or are they both nice the way they are?

I like higher powers, so I am not so sure. But the larger exit pupil, the more DOF and the more 3D view are all appealing.
It is all a personal choice. I found out I like the leatherette version more than the GA. GA version is too bulky to me. Also I like the narrow eyecups of the leatherette version. However as you said they both nice the way they are 😊

Me too like higher powers. However I prefer Habicht 7x42 more than 10x40 due to its uniqueness.

It is all a personal choice. I found out I like the leatherette version more than the GA. GA version is too bulky to me. Also I like the narrow eyecups of the leatherette version. However as you said they both nice the way they are 😊

Me too like higher powers. However I prefer Habicht 7x42 more than 10x40 due to its uniqueness.
Did you tried other 7x Viraj and if so how would you compare them to the Habicht?

Did you tried other 7x Viraj and if so how would you compare them to the Habicht?
Unfortunately, only other binoculars I compared with Habicht 7x42 are Curios. They are both different animals so comparison is not fair. However I really like the classic look and 3D of Habichts.

Unfortunately, only other binoculars I compared with Habicht 7x42 are Curios. They are both different animals so comparison is not fair. However I really like the classic look and 3D of Habichts.
As you maybe know i have two Habicht’s, but in GA because im a clumsy guy but i do like the classic look of the leatherette versions. I have a slight preference for the 8x30 over the 10x40 at the moment as i use it mainly for landscape viewing but then in the field the 10x40 is perfect as a lightweight optical tool to spot raptors. I think the 8x30 shows more 3D effect than the 10x.

I own some 7’s but there is always room for another ;)

As you maybe know i have two Habicht’s, but in GA because im a clumsy guy but i do like the classic look of the leatherette versions. I have a slight preference for the 8x30 over the 10x40 at the moment as i use it mainly for landscape viewing but then in the field the 10x40 is perfect as a lightweight optical tool to spot raptors. I think the 8x30 shows more 3D effect than the 10x.

I own some 7’s but there is always room for another ;)
Yes I know you are also a big fan of Habichts. Even though I do not have any experience with 8x30, it is surely a superior performer. One day I would like to try it however still I am lucky for not having a desire for it in the moment 😃

Definitely the FL and Leica BN and other 7’s you have are superior to the Habicht 7x42 in some aspects but the classic look of Habicht leatherette version is difficult to resist 😊

Yes I know you are also a big fan of Habichts. Even though I do not have any experience with 8x30, it is surely a superior performer. One day I would like to try it however still I am lucky for not having a desire for it in the moment 😃

Definitely the FL and Leica BN and other 7’s you have are superior to the Habicht 7x42 in some aspects but the classic look of Habicht leatherette version is difficult to resist 😊
Well, I wouldn’t say superior because the Habicht 7 has higher transmission and it is a Porro and has the oldest design still manufactured. I will get myself one this year, probably in GA again.

I don't really like the rainguard coming with the leatherette Habicht 8x30 (probably also with the 7x42 and 10x40.) I can't really use it as a "rainguard", because I always have to reset the eyepupil distance of the binoculars afterwards.
Any ideas what would be a more usable rainguard? (More flexible so to say)

1711614024926.png

I ordered an Alpine bino bandit as a solution to reduce reflections that occur on the eyepiece of habichts. It can also be used to cover eyepieces when not in use which would act halfway as rainguards. The only problem I would face is the fogging of eyepiece lenses.

Ironic isn't it that the fabled waterproof porro doesn't have a functional rain guard.

The ga versions are unfortunately the same plastic ones just green, they may be slightly larger but not wide enough to cover a decent range of ipd adjustments.

The i.f versions rainguard is actually rubber so is a little more flexible but again not quite big enough, for my ipd at least.

Opticron make a wide variety, one of those will almost certainly fit the bill. Unfortunately if you want a larger rain guard of the same style your a bit stuck unless you get one from an old Zeiss dialyt (7x42 or similar) or the Nikon eii rain guard which is one of the best, although as a word of warning Nikon spares are devilishly tricky to get hold of- I had to wait 3 months for some recently.

Any ideas what would be a more usable rainguard?
Generic rainguards are common, two cups with a flexible connector; you just have to find the diameter that will stay on your eyecups but not be too tight. (I got this right on the second attempt, slightly larger than my careful measurement.)

I don't really like the rainguard coming with the leatherette Habicht 8x30 (probably also with the 7x42 and 10x40.) I can't really use it as a "rainguard", because I always have to reset the eyepupil distance of the binoculars afterwards.
Any ideas what would be a more usable rainguard? (More flexible so to say)

View attachment 1568092
Yes, this rainguard is poorly designed. It cannot be used not only at large interpupillary distances, but also when the eyecups are folded down. This is because the diameter of the folded eyecups increases and they no longer fit in this small rainguard. For this reason, in the field I always use Habicht without rainguard. However, when I store it in its bag, I attach the wider rainguard from an APM binocular.

Today I got my previous Habicht 10x40 GA back. Now the focus wheel of it became very smooth with the use of the previous owner. It is just the same as the focus wheel of my Habicht 7x42. Hopefully, the bino bandit would resolve the problem with the eyepiece reflections (unless it induces fogging on the eyepieces). I am so happy to have them back.

unnamed.jpg

Today I got my previous Habicht 10x40 GA back. Now the focus wheel of it became very smooth with the use of the previous owner. It is just the same as the focus wheel of my Habicht 7x42. Hopefully, the bino bandit would resolve the problem with the eyepiece reflections (unless it induces fogging on the eyepieces). I am so happy to have them back.

View attachment 1570030

Great news, good to see you got them back. About the fogging. It helps -for me- if you put the rubber on the eye pieces back and put the oculairs just under the eyebrows, some air will take care of the fogging. Ofcourse this depends your facial structure. And for me it only helps in the summer.

Great news, good to see you got them back. About the fogging. It helps -for me- if you put the rubber on the eye pieces back and put the oculairs just under the eyebrows, some air will take care of the fogging. Ofcourse this depends your facial structure. And for me it only helps in the summer.
Thank you for your useful suggestion. Under normal circumstances, fogging has never occurred to me. It happened when I tried with winged eyecups to block side light to avoid reflections on eyepieces. I assume the bino bandit would give a bit more room than winged eyecups so the fogging will be delayed. I keep your opinion in mind if it ever happens when I use it without the Bino Bandit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back