• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hampshire (3 Viewers)

If anyones interested, there still looking for WeBS counters on the HOS website, to do 5 hour counts on 17th March and the following months.

Jason.

the Black-necked Grebes in Langstone Harbour are mostly in summer plumage now plus there was a Red-necked Grebe at the Oysterbeds today

Where's the best place to see the BN Grebes Teamsaint? Is it the area north of the Oysterbeds, where I've seen them before. Would love to see them in summer plumage.

One summer Med Gull in Eastney today, outside the marine labs. Kept me occupied during lunch break (we're so easily amused! Know one I showed was even remotely interested! And there supposed to be biologists!)

Jason

First Chiffchaff of the year seen today chasing flies in brambles on Farlington Marsh. GC Grebes displaying in the tidal channels, Skylarks, Cettis and Meadow Pipits singing, Little Grebes in breeding plumage, Lapwings displaying, Mallards mating.

Think it might be spring.

Jason

Good birding in Hampshire.

;) Hello Hampshire birders.
I am working in Gosport at the moment, travelling back to Plymouth most weekends,this week i managed my first visit to both Farlington marsh and Titchfield Haven NNR.
I went to Farlington on Monday and walked around the perimeter, seeing Peregrine,Snipe,Red Breasted Merganser,and flocks of Brent Geese.A very good reserve with some nice viewing spots, but as it's been said before, could do with some facilities.I was dying for a cuppa when i'd finished!
Wednesday i visited Titchfield, despite a hide being closed for renovation i had an excellent day, and managed to see 52 species, including Scaup,Lapwing,Reed Bunting,several Avocets and a cracking Mediterranean Gull in breeding plumage.
I also saw Peacock,Painted Lady,Brimstone and Comma butterflies, and had a clear view of a Roe deer out in the open, not bad for £3.70.
The reserve also has a well stocked cafe and gift shop, and bins for hire for those without.
I hope to visit the New Forest later in the year for Nightjars,Dartford Warblers and whatever else there might be.
Cheers Hampshire! ;)

Not a problem Devon! Glad you had a good time at Farlington. Its got a lot to offer and often throws up a surprise. Bit of advice tho; take a flask!

Can definitely recoment the New Forest as well. I visited today and saw some fantastic birds. See this thread. Never disapoints in my experience.

Al livsey said:
;) Hello Hampshire birders.
I am working in Gosport at the moment, travelling back to Plymouth most weekends,this week i managed my first visit to both Farlington marsh and Titchfield Haven NNR.
I went to Farlington on Monday and walked around the perimeter, seeing Peregrine,Snipe,Red Breasted Merganser,and flocks of Brent Geese.A very good reserve with some nice viewing spots, but as it's been said before, could do with some facilities.I was dying for a cuppa when i'd finished!
Wednesday i visited Titchfield, despite a hide being closed for renovation i had an excellent day, and managed to see 52 species, including Scaup,Lapwing,Reed Bunting,several Avocets and a cracking Mediterranean Gull in breeding plumage.
I also saw Peacock,Painted Lady,Brimstone and Comma butterflies, and had a clear view of a Roe deer out in the open, not bad for £3.70.
The reserve also has a well stocked cafe and gift shop, and bins for hire for those without.
I hope to visit the New Forest later in the year for Nightjars,Dartford Warblers and whatever else there might be.
Cheers Hampshire! ;)

J Moss said:
Not a problem Devon! Glad you had a good time at Farlington. Its got a lot to offer and often throws up a surprise. Bit of advice tho; take a flask!

Can definitely recoment the New Forest as well. I visited today and saw some fantastic birds. See this thread. Never disapoints in my experience.

i'm going to the forest again on monday, hopefully for goshawk. last saturday i had firecrests, woodlarks, crosbills & a lesser pecker (heard only) around Boldrewood.

Where abouts did you spot the Woodlarks Teamsaint? I kept my eyes open, but didn't have any luck.

Good day at Farlington today. Saw my first Wheatear of the year, on North Marsh, lots of singing Chiffers, and my first Jack Snipe, thanks to taking part in the WeBS count. 9, to be precise, and 80+ Common snipe. One Water Pipit was also flushed from the Hayfield.

Good luck for Monday.

Jason

teamsaint said:
i'm going to the forest again on monday, hopefully for goshawk. last saturday i had firecrests, woodlarks, crosbills & a lesser pecker (heard only) around Boldrewood.

Hi - any of you lot know what the access situation is like on Thorney Island at the moment? Did hear that one of the gates had been shut last month and was wondering if they'd reopened it yet. (Did ask this originally on the Hants, Berks & Surrey thread for some daft reason, so apologies if you're reading this twice! )(Yes I know it's Sussex really, but I think that some of you lot get there more frequently than any of the folk on the Sussex thread)

Thanks
Nick

Pretty productive on Farlington Marsh today. At least 2 Sedge Warblers around the reserver, 4+ Sandwich Terns feeding over shut lake, 3+ Lesser Whitethroats singing, along with a Blackcap, 3 Cettis (saw one for a change), and a few Chiffchaffs. 7+ Swallows passed through, along with 3 Sand Martins, 7+ Wheatears feeding on Northmarsh and the Hayfield. Also 1 Peregrine attacking a Woodpigeon, failing to bring it down, but leaving a few feathers to spiral back to earth. 2 Buzzards, one of which showing off its hovering abilities. 2 Greenshanks, c36 gorgeous summer plumaged Black Tailed Godwits, 8 summery Dunlins, 9 Snipe, c9 Little Egrets and a Med Gull flyover also caught the eye.

Also Peacock, Red Admiral and Brimstone butterflies seen.

61 species in total.

Off to the New Forest tomorrow

Jason

Last edited:
New Forest today:

Barrow Moor (off Boldrewood Ornamental Drive)
- 3 male Redstarts. Singing, calling and fighting. Wonderfull birds.
- 4 Marsh Tits.
- 1 Fem. Brambling.
- 1 Firecrest singing.
- 2 Blackcaps.
- Nuthatches, Treecreepers, Willow Warblers, Chiffers etc.

Across the road from Barrow Moor car park;
- 2 Tree Pipits performing song flights.
- 1 male Stonechat.
- 1 Lizard sp.

Boldrewood
- 1 male Redstart.
- Siskin in song flight.
- Another Firecrest.
- 2 Hawfinches. Stopped for a sec., then flew off.
- 2 Green Woodpeckers.
- Another Tree Pipit.
- Possible Goshawk flyover.
- Blackcaps, Willow Warblers, Chiffchaffs, 2 Mistle Thrushes and a Buzzard.

Acres Down.
- 1 Goshawk
- 3+ Buzzards

Jason

sounds like a good day Jason, I had some similar stuff yesterday including Goshawk, 6 Redstarts (all at the Knightwood Oak), 6-7 Firecrests, Woodlark, Crossbills (good views for once), Siskins, Buzzards, Treecreepers, Woodpeckers, Marsh Tits, Mistle Thrushes etc. Also visited the new RSPB place at the Reptile Centre where there is a webcam of a Goshawks nest. There are currently 4 eggs in the nest which apparently will hatch in about 2 weeks. Also saw lots of Speckled Wood butterflies plus Brimstones & a Red Admiral, also a Common Lizard (probably what you saw as well Jason, they are quite common)
Tom

Pigbush is normally a good place to see the Goshawks and if any have arrived Hobby. You might pick-up Redstart and Spotted Fly as well, (if the crowds have not arrived en-mass).

Hmm, I bet parts of the New Forest can get pretty bad with holidaymakers this time of year. oh well.

Next target bird - Wood Warbler.

Cant wait.

Jason

Last edited:
J Moss said:
Hmm, I bet parts of the New Forest can get pretty bad with holidaymakers this time of year. oh well.

Nest target bird - Wood Warbler.

Cant wait.

Jason

Wood Warbler should be easy at Boldrewood, Denny Wood, Mark Ash Wood, Pitt's Wood. anywhere really with suitable habitat

1 Black Tern through Farlington this morning. Sadly wasn't there to see it : (.

Also 1 Common Sandpiper, 2 Cuckoos singing, 17+ Whimbrel, numerous Sandwich Terns and a few Commons and Littles. Around 8 Common Whitethroat singing and holding territory already, along with Lesser Whitethroats, Sedge and Cettis Warblers. Tonnes (possibly literally!) of Greenfinches and Linnets, a few Wheatears and 3 Swallows also.

Very nice.

Jason

We seem to have an influx of Nightingale at Hambrook, a male was singing in Cheesmans Lane and at the corner of South Lane at Woodmancott. They can usually be found in Marlpit Lane, so hopefully this is a bonus increase of birds.

migration is now going well. summer visitors mostly in, 3 hoopoes in the last week (only calshot one is still about as far as I know). should be a good weekend to look forward to!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back