• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hampshire (4 Viewers)

Well done teamsaint on finding Swifts, none for me yet. I've just spent another week in Hampshire (Gosport) and had a look round Browndown common on Tuesday and Wednesday,plenty of common whitethroat,Greenfinch,House Sparrow and Dunnock. I also managed to find my first Dartford Warblers, perched on top of the Gorse, flitting from bush to bush.
On the beach were several Wheatear and a few Linnets, with Sandwich Terns flying east down the shoreline.
Together with 2 foxes, 1 deer and loads of rabbits it was a good couple of afternoons away from work.
Back up to Gosport on Sunday.

Al.

interestingly a Goosander with 10 ducklings has been found at a secret site somewhere in Hampshire. This is a very rare Hants breeder indeed.

interestingly a Goosander with 10 ducklings has been found at a secret site somewhere in Hampshire. This is a very rare Hants breeder indeed.

It's nowhere that i know of! Must be a good site. I have Song Thrush nesting at the bottom of my garden in the Privets, and a Blue Tit in a nest box!

Al.

hi
well i,ve got 2 house martin nests.. a pied-wagtail, a grey wagtail who is in love with my wing mirror, the spotted woodpecker now sitting, lots of blue-tits, cold tits, a few black birds.. the common buzzard was up high today, gulls were happy feeding in the park.. Robin and wren were at my horses yard.. robin loves the feed bin and has been catch in there.. lid fell down very fat bird..lol.. just as the darkness arrive the starling came home 40 + and the rook were high in thr oak ready for a quite night..
wont be in Hampshire tomorrow off to Rockingham race course for a MR2 day hubby thinks i need a day out ...

happy birding

check my art site www.artwanted.com/jay53

At least 8 Swifts over the house this morning. Also 2 Blue Tits eating greenflies in the garden, 1 House Sparrow, Blackbird, Woodpigeon, etc etc.

I'm afraid this is what I'm restricted to, until my knee sorts itself out.

Struggling to stay sane :storm:

Jason

sorry jason but this afternoon the Hoopoe was showing extremely well down to less than 10 metres! also seen today wheatear, woodlark, 3 pale-bellied brents, cuckoos (heard only), med gull, sarnies, reed warbler, sedge warbler, whitethroat, 14 brick-red barwits

At least 8 Swifts over the house this morning. Also 2 Blue Tits eating greenflies in the garden, 1 House Sparrow, Blackbird, Woodpigeon, etc etc.

I'm afraid this is what I'm restricted to, until my knee sorts itself out.

Struggling to stay sane :storm:

Jason

Limp, you lazy bugger!
Very nice seeing the birds out here, but I miss birding my patch in Hampshire...

Haha, I try! Managed to get to and from the library today and I'm absolutely shattered. Didn't see any birds cos I was looking at the floor most of the way.

Had a Swallow over the house and 4 Goldfinches on the feeder.

Woop-de-doo

Jason

Hi guys
The New Forest is my local patch. Went to Mark Ash Wood, North Oakley Inclosure & Bratley Wood on the 5th(May) & saw the usual woodland & heathland birds & also some firsts of the year for me: Spotted Flycatcher, Tree Pipit, Wood Warbler & baby Tawny Owl.
Is it me or is there more Firecrests around this year?

On the 8th Walked from Blackwater car park & saw my first Crossbill fledglings of the year & a Hawfinch joining some Blackbirds mobbing what I assume was a Tawny Owl (didn't actually see it).:hi:

Dunno about previous years, as I'm pretty new to the area, but there certainly appear to be lots of Firecrests around. I generally see 1-2 per visit, although my ear isn't 100% in on their call yet. I believe Teamsaint has seen up to 7 induviduals in single visits.

Good to hear about the Crossbill and tawny Owl fledglings as well.

Jason

Hi guys
The New Forest is my local patch. Went to Mark Ash Wood, North Oakley Inclosure & Bratley Wood on the 5th(May) & saw the usual woodland & heathland birds & also some firsts of the year for me: Spotted Flycatcher, Tree Pipit, Wood Warbler & baby Tawny Owl.

where abouts was the Spotted Flycatcher, it's becoming a pretty scarce bird in Hampshire now. The only NF locations that I am aware of are Denny Wood and Slufters Inclosure

Hi Teamsaint & Jason.

Spotted Flycatcher was at Mark Ash Wood SU 247072. There's usually one around here most years.
Brinken & Gritnam Woods hold them also.

Bolderwood & North Oakley being a main breeding area for the Firecrest, 7 is about right for a 4 mile (3 hour) walk for me.

We (myself & wife) found one, possibly two, family groups of Spotted flycatchers last summer, on the extreme western edge of the NF, about a mile and a week apart, near Bisterne Common.

Not been over that way yet this spring.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back