• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hand-Feeding! (1 Viewer)

1horse2many

1horse2many
Hi all,
I live in a small town with a river behind my house. There are no cars, no children and no cats (we have dogs!)
We've been feeding the birds for about 3 months (we moved here about 4 months ago), and they've been coming steadily since we put the feeders out.
I had noticed that the black-capped chickadees are very bold and not afraid of my while I put out new seed and maintain the feeders- they watch me!

So, today I waited until the feeders were all empty and I stood there with my hand outstretched beside my platform feeder. Well, lo and behold- the chickadees started landing on my hand and taking their favourite seeds (sunflower meats!) and then flying off.
It was SO exciting, just one simple meeting like that. I filled up their feeders and left them be.
But it got me wondering, what other birds will eat from your hand? I would assume nuthatches and the like..
But has anyone ever had a red-winged blackbird, goldfinch, or any other type of bird make the attempt. My hairy woodpecker would give it a go if he weren't so busy off catching real food (sigh!). I can't believe I am saying this but- I can't wait to see what winter will bring! I am hoping to have a whole bunch of birds eating from my hand!

I've seen videos of hummingbirds taking food from the hand, but the only personal experience I've had of hand-feeding wild birds involved Western Scrub-jays & peanuts (what else!) a couple of years ago. Not only would the jays perch on my hand but they would calmly pick up each peanut in turn before flying off with the “best” one. The same birds would also “come & get me” by tapping on the kitchen window if I didn’t bring the peanuts out quickly enough & whenever I did yard work would follow me about trying to lead me back to the peanut bin.

I've often wondered if nuthatches might eat from the hand also. They don't seem very skittish, I know with my camera I can get very close. If I'm standing still, they will come down the tree within one or two feet from me.

Hi all,
I live in a small town with a river behind my house. There are no cars, no children and no cats (we have dogs!)
We've been feeding the birds for about 3 months (we moved here about 4 months ago), and they've been coming steadily since we put the feeders out.
I had noticed that the black-capped chickadees are very bold and not afraid of my while I put out new seed and maintain the feeders- they watch me!

So, today I waited until the feeders were all empty and I stood there with my hand outstretched beside my platform feeder. Well, lo and behold- the chickadees started landing on my hand and taking their favourite seeds (sunflower meats!) and then flying off.
It was SO exciting, just one simple meeting like that. I filled up their feeders and left them be.
But it got me wondering, what other birds will eat from your hand? I would assume nuthatches and the like..
But has anyone ever had a red-winged blackbird, goldfinch, or any other type of bird make the attempt. My hairy woodpecker would give it a go if he weren't so busy off catching real food (sigh!). I can't believe I am saying this but- I can't wait to see what winter will bring! I am hoping to have a whole bunch of birds eating from my hand!

Wow! I need to try that. I too have noticed that chickadees aren't afraid of me when I go outside to fill the feeder. The same thing happened with a downy woodpecker, but I think I may have startled him when I looked up at him when I was picking up seeds from the ground. I heard a loud chirp and looked up and he looked at me and flew away.

If you don't mind me asking.."How long did you have to stand there in order for the chickadee to eat from your hand?"

I don't know what it is, but the Chickadees seem to be the friendliest little birds around.

After I took the picture of the Black cap to the left, he hopped up onto the top of my phone. We looked at each other, then he flew off to hide the piece of peanut for later.

It was quite the experience.

B :)

I'd just revisited and realized I didn't answer the poster a few above.
I fed the birds at a feeder right off of my porch until they knew there would be a constant food supply.
Once I found the time of day they visit most (6-730pm), I stood outside with my hand outstretched by the feeder (which I emptied, for this purpose).
It took a little over 5 minutes, surprisingly !!!
No time at all.
I'm excited for the winter to try for the Nuthatch, the Downy and the Hairy- I hope to have them all eating out of my hand!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back