• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hand-holding your 100-400 ... (1 Viewer)

nikovich

Hi guys, I know some of you, in particular Keith , rely soley on handholding your camera and lens ( as I do too ) . Who wouldn't when you have the Godsend that is IS .

I grip the very end of the lens ( supporting most of the weight ) with my left hand and fire away . I have noticed that you have to kind of adjust your fingers on your left hand slightly so not as to jog the manual focus ring though if I'm being particularly clumsy.

I was wondering , what are some of your hand-holding techniques ? Or is that too much of a secret ;)

I know a girl who also has the 100-400 and she grips the tripod ring bracket with her left hand which I found to be a very awkward and unweildy way of shooting . Yet , she has shown me some amazingly sharp photos !

Cheers

Nick

Last edited:
Still getting to grips with how to handhold my 100-400 (had it less than a week). I've tried the far end like you, or close to the body (more strain on the wrist though). I also find it easier if I squat down and rest my elbow on a knee! Haven't tried the tripod ring but may give that a whirl.

Interested to read how others do it.

I've never really thought about this, to be honest.

I cradle the lens along its length, with the heel of my hand under the first moulded ridge on the lens body (the section with the little screws in it), my fingers spread out under the length of the barrel.

My index and middle fingers rest on the tightening ring.

I think as long as it's comfortable and steady, there's not much to worry about here - I reckon that tucking your elbows into your torso properly is much more important.

I cannot get away with holding the tripod mount though!

Last edited:
I use the technique described by Keith. I have taken the tripod ring off. It reduces the weight, makes it easier to switch between horizontal/vertical composition and prevents me from catching it on things at the most inopportune moments.

Thanks fellas . It's interesting to see how others shoot . I too removed the tripod ring on mine the same day I bought it , as I never saw a good enough reason to leave it on. Now my camera with lens attached fits nicely in my shoulder bag .

I kept the tripod ring on. If I'm out and about fora few hours with the camera, it's nice to have the option to carry it about with a couple of fingers under the mount by way of variety. When shooting, I find the most important part is to have my left elbow resting on my chest and the tripod mount sits nicely in my palm.

Nick,

All the tips on this thread are very good and helpful. I will add 3 more:

1- Practice makes perfect. When I started hand holding this lens, my results were awful. However, they kept on improving with time. Don't give up !

2- If you use the 1.4x TC, don't hand hold - A tripod is mandatory !

3- Be careful with the IS switch. When hand holding, it is easy to switch it off by accident ! Since I want it ON all the time, I have taped it with masking tape - an easy solution that works great for me.

Regards
Jules

Hi Jules,

I definitely agree with your no. 1 tip, but re: no. 2, I use the 1.4x on mine and use it hand-held all the time without any problem.

Which IS setting do you guys use most often? I have been using 1. I have noticed the instruction manual says that 2 is for if you panning so I suppose this would be ideal for birds in flight.

Nick,

All the tips on this thread are very good and helpful. I will add 3 more:

Like Keith I very rarely use a tripod. I suppose it depends a) just how 'crisp' you want the shots to be and b) how good you are with hand held.
You will develope your own technique but I feel that the further to the end of the lense then obviously the further you have to extend you arm. I was always taught to have your 'holding arm' as close to your body as possible (within reason) so as to give a rigid support. I was taught (in the 70's) by a guy who used to be a sniper-he told me the importance of breathing out, holding for a second then squeezing the shutter (trigger in his case)

Hi Jules,

I definitely agree with your no. 1 tip, but re: no. 2, I use the 1.4x on mine and use it hand-held all the time without any problem.

Keith,

Using a TC with the 100-400 is marginal at best and produces photos that are definitely on the soft side, even if they are often quite acceptable. In order to optimize such a set-up, it is generally accepted that it is best to use some kind of support, tripod or at least a monopod.

If you are fairly broad shouldered and not barrell chested then the advised technique can induce unwanted movement because the arm and shoulder muscles are not relaxed. Pinning the arm to the chest and beneath the lens means (for me) that the forarm is not long enough to hold the camera up to the eye without contorting one's self . This induces stress and shake. It is all a question of ones own ergonomics. Test out what suits you. Reversing backpack can help to add support and enable desired reach.

I do not breath in or out when I am shooting...I exhale and hold till I shoot and hope I don't pass out!

Jules,

"generally accepted" is a long way from your "mandatory".

The point I'm making is that it is entirely possible to use the 100-400 + TC handheld to good effect, whereas your earlier post suggests that it is essentially impossible.

And as an aside, I'm not sure that anyone here can state with any authority what is "generally accepted", and it seems to me that an awful lot of people do in fact use use their 100-400s + 1.4x TC hand-held to their satisfaction...

And as an aside, I'm not sure that anyone here can state with any authority what is "generally accepted", and it seems to me that an awful lot of people do in fact use use their 100-400s + 1.4x TC hand-held to their satisfaction...

I think the point is that it is generally accepted that using any form of support will yield more sharp shots. That doesn't mean you can't get sharp shots hand-holding...

Hi Mark,

fair enough, but Jules seems to be suggesting that this "general acceptance" of the need to use a tripod applies specifically to this one lens/TC combo, rather than to lenses in general.

Jules,

"generally accepted" is a long way from your "mandatory".

The point I'm making is that it is entirely possible to use the 100-400 + TC handheld to good effect, whereas your earlier post suggests that it is essentially impossible.

Keith,

No point in getting into an argument about this. I have my opinion and you have yours. There is nothing wrong with that.

Keith in fairness....I think that the the following should be remembered:-

1. Most books and articles that I have read suggest use of a tripod with long lenses and whilst they do not say that you cannot hand hold I think the suggestion is you will get more sharp results particularly in low light situations. The rule of thumb, but no guarantee, is to use the focal length shutter speed ratio e.g. If you have a focal length of 400mm then it is best that one does not use a shutter speed less than 1/400 per sec. It is implied therefore that a tripod is required for lower shutter speeds. In my view I think that this rule of thumb is 'generally accepted' but only as a 'rule of thumb'. (I have ignored the IS and crop factors for the purpose of simplicity)

2. The question of whether a converter is used or not whilst hand holding seems to me to be a non starter for the reason given above and it seems the issue are being confused.

3. It is generally accepted that the use of a TC with any lens and in particular a zoom lens is likey to bring a reduction of IQ. This is more a fact than a mere subjective acceptance. I think it must be accepted as unquestionable that there will be a reduction in IQ with a TC but certainly with a TC and good light the amount of image degradation is minimal (in my view) with the modern lenses and converters.

3. For some reasons different cameras seem to 'perform' differently when converters are used.

4. Achieving auto-focus helps greatly...I do not get it with my 100- 400 and sigma 1.4 converter.

5. Most photographers when given an option to use a rock , window jamb or other available support will, in most situations I think, take advantage of it because their return rate will be higher. That in itself demonstrates what is generally accepted IMHO.

There are no rules....just different rates of return for different set-ups with different people.

Finally ....wish I could do what you do!

Nick,

3- Be careful with the IS switch. When hand holding, it is easy to switch it off by accident ! Since I want it ON all the time, I have taped it with masking tape - an easy solution that works great for me.

Regards
Jules

Silly Question as i will be Purchasing a 100-400 ... You say to use a Tripod ...
Which if You want Sharp is a Logical Answer ... It help's Me in Low Light etc, Especially i guess if you have'nt got IS
But you said You tape the IS on ... I was under the impression that you
should'nt use IS on any Tripod ... I even heard of One case of a Lens
getting damaged or something ... Is this fact true?,
Thank's and Take care,
John,

Silly Question as i will be Purchasing a 100-400 ... You say to use a Tripod ...
Which if You want Sharp is a Logical Answer ... It help's Me in Low Light etc, Especially i guess if you have'nt got IS
But you said You tape the IS on ... I was under the impression that you
should'nt use IS on any Tripod ... I even heard of One case of a Lens
getting damaged or something ... Is this fact true?,
Thank's and Take care,
John,

My 100-400 must have at least 10,000 pictures under the belly, all with IS on - some with tripod, some with TC - and it is still going strong. I have also read that IS should be off with a tripod but I never bothered to switch it off. Maybe I should ...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back