• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hants, Berks and Surrey Borders (2 Viewers)

Thanks for that john, i didint realise it was so close to Moor green. Hopefully ill see my Dartford warbler. Might try and go Friday. hopefully the weather will hold out.
Thanks again.

Here's a map of Yateley Common South:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&h...pn=0.012819,0.029182&t=h&z=15&iwloc=addr&om=1

The bit that's best for the Dartfords can be reached from the layby on the A30 just opposite The Ely pub (if you go in the day time, there's a burger van as well). Go for a good walk around the area south of the A30 and there's a good chance of getting Dartfords and a fair number of stonechats. On the right of the map, you can see a tarmac road running southwest. On the east side of the road, the heath there can also have flocks of woodlark, which start to congregate around this time of year (best flock I saw was 25). They can also appear half-way between the layby and the tarmac road, too. It's worth keeping an eye out for whinchat with the stonechats, especially as they start migrating through. There's also linnets and the odd reed bunting turns up. Tree pipits also like the place, although those will be gone soon.
The county recorder also said to keep an eye out for great grey shrike during migration - rare, but they do turn up there on occasion, although not seen one myself. Siskins can turn up in the pines at the south end of the heath in winter.
On the north side of the A30 is the civilian side of the common, where most of the same birds are possible, but there are so many dog walkers and idiots on motorbikes, you don't see much of anything other than some large tit flocks near the Gravel Pit, close to the A30/B3272 roundabout.
Hope that's some help - spent a year on there as my local patch. Still remember the first time i saw a Dartford warbler over there. I'd gone looking for the stonechats we'd seen a few days before and didn't believe what I'd seen until about the fourth time I laid eyes on it through the scope...

Last edited:
Thankyou boris.Thats a great description it sounds like a great patch. might go a bit more regularly. Most of the birds you said there i havn't seen for a good while so i look forward to it. Went to Theale GP and saw the Peregrine,beautiful bird sitting on pylon. Also went to Moor Green. Saw 2 Kestrels, 2 Green Sandpipers,about 12 Wigeon 5 Shovler and all the usual thats there. Has anyone else noticed that workings at moor green seem to be getting bigger or am i mistaken?

Geordie

Tices this morning - 1 Snipe, 11 lapwing, 1 Skylark, 5 Linnet, 1 Kestrel, 3 Pheasant, Lesser Black & Black headed Gulls. Some vis migration in the form of Swallows & House martins. Tongham GP - 15 Tufted Duck, 4 great Crested Grebe, 6 Wigeon , (1st to return this Autumn), 3 Chiffchaff, 1 Gt Spotted Woodie & 1 Green, 2 Kestrels involved in an arial duel with a Crow.

John.

Moor Green lakes: 2 green sandpipers, 200 lapwing, 1 kestrel, 1 heron,1 gadwall, 10 wigeon,40+ tufties and all the usual. Still havnt been to yatley but i will try tomorrow hopefully the weather will be better.

Geordie

Went to Yatley Common south this evening an hour before dusk. Saw my dartford warbler x2,3 stonechats and about 40+ meadow pipits. Its a beautifull spot.

geordie

Tices this morning, (my day off), 3 Skylark, 1 Snipe, 5 Lapwing, at least 14 Meadow Pipits, 2 Green Woodpecker, 1 Great Spot, 1 Chiffchaff, 1 Common Gull, & 14 House Martin which lingered briefly before continuing SW.

Cheers,

John.

Went Yatley Common south for an hour and a half.Not a lot there but i got my best ever view of a dartford warbler through my scope so that made me well pleased,also at least 3 pairs of stonechats and 1 green woodpecker and at least 40 meadow pipts.

Geordie:t:

Tongham GP - 19 Wigeon, 1 Pochard, 1 Gadwall, & 1 Sparrowhawk;

Tices Meadow - 48 Lapwing, 2 Snipe, 2 Skylark, 12 Meadow Pipit, 84 Black Headed Gull, 70 Lesser Black Backed Gull, 6 Herring Gull, 1 Kestrel.

John.

Great Grey Shrike showing till 12:00 at least today at Wishmoor Bottom, Berks ( just over the border from Surrey!).

John.

Ive got to get myself over wishmoor! Moor Green this afternoon had 2 Shovler,2 snipe, 2 Green Sandpipers, 1 common gull, 2+sisken, 5 fieldfares, 50+ widgeon,23 poachard,5 gadwall, 3 little grebe loads of mallard and tufties. Also green and greater spotted woodpeckers.

More local Great Grey Shrikes! 2 present at Thursley this afternoon in addition to the the Wishmoor Bottom bird which is still around. My day off tomorrow, off to Thursley in the morning I reckon!

John.

Still 1 GGS present at Thursley this morning, had excellent views as it harrassed the local Linnets, very mobile though. The Wishmoor bird is also still around. Also had 3 Woodlark, Buzzard, & Kestrel at Thursley.

John.

After lunch popped down to Tices Meadow, all the usual suspects present - Lapwing, Skylark, Meadow Pipit, Gulls etc plus a pair of Stonechats that I watched as I sat in the grass in the sunshine, nice!

John.

Yatley common South, 2 sparrow hawks,4 Dartford Warblers,Stonechats.8 long tailed tits 4+coal tits 4 jays 1 greenwoodpecker. Quickly popped into moor green, 2 Green sandpipers,20+pochard,50+widgeon

Geordie

Can Anyone tell me where the best place is to see the great grey shrike at wishmoor bottom. I heard that is was near a burnt out patch but i wandered around for an hour and a half couldnt see it. I came off the A30 up Kings dirive to the entrance there. Isi that the best way in? cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back