• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Harassed Sea Eagle (1 Viewer)

gerald762

England
I need help to identify the small raptor harassing the Sea Eagle.
Photos from today, 22 April 2023, SE Sweden.
Thanks

Attachments

• Harassed Sea eagle.jpg
    Harassed Sea eagle.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 130
  • Harassed Sea eagle2.jpg
    Harassed Sea eagle2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 131
Hello,

I agree with Butty. Its a Rough-legged Buzzard for me too. Please note
  • contrasting=very well demarcated blackish band at an whitish tail
  • yes, whishful thinking, but the tail appears to be long and full, vaguely remiscent of an Goshawk (or an Honey Buzzard). A jizz feature of many RLB against Common Buzzard. Your bird gives the right impression for this.

Wings don't look like goshawk though, different sections of colour clear. Rough-legged or common, I don't want to try and distinguish between the two. Can't see the brown patch at front of carpal of a rough-legged buzzard being so large and extending so far along the arm.

Sorry to add even more ambiguity and confusion, but maybe Marsh Harrier? If seen backlit would be possible Edit: whoops, no tail-band

Last edited:
I can see a black subterminal band, not a terminal band, but only one. This could be wear, or female or juvenile as it is quite diffuse. The under-tail coverts appear to be stripey, not white. This is giving me confusing signals. I think it is probably a CB, but I can't rule out R-LB.

Rough-legged buzzard would have sparser colour along the arm, toward it's body, I would conclude common buzzard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back