• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Have you compared the best Kowa (Genesis Prominar XD) side by side against the best Leica (Noctivid), Swarovski (NL Pure & EL) and Zeiss (Victory SF)? (2 Viewers)

mauriciolacruz

Spain
Have you compared the best Kowa (Genesis Prominar XD) side by side against the best Leica (Noctivid), Swarovski (NL Pure & EL SV) and Zeiss (Victory SF)?

How do they stand each other?

Thanks.

For your information, I do already own the Kowa Genesis Prominar XD 8.5x44 and the Kowa Genesis Prominar XD 10.5x44.

I just want to know the opinion of those who have compared any of the Genesis Prominar XD line vs the Alphas.

Thank you.

I have no experience with this models.
My post is related to comments/critics in/of your other comparison threads.
It was suggested to you to make one single thread (to merge 3 or 4 threads in one), you done it and no answer followed here.

I’ll have a go at it.

I haven’t had all of those together at one time, but I’ve had most of them side-by-side with one another.
I had the Genesis 8x33 side by side with Swaro 8x32SV, Zeiss SF 8x32 , Leica Ultravid 8x32 and NL.
I’ve also had the Genesis 8.5x44 side by side with Swaro SV 8.5x42 , Leica Noctivid 8x42 the NL 8x42 and an old Swift Audubon ED 8.5x44.

My overall summation is the big three Zeiss, Swarovski and Leica are all as good as it gets. I’m not going to go into how each one compares, I’m sure there are numerous discussions on each here on BF. In comparing all these , as usual it comes down to , you pay for what you get. That being said I’ve come to a conclusion over the last few years that imo the $1000 (upper mid grade) price range is kind of a sweet spot when it comes to what you get for the money when comparing them to the best of the best, and the mid level options that range about half that price ($500 range). We seem to get most of the attributes of the best , excellent high quality optics and build. From there improvements are very incremental , and some people for multiple reasons my not see the difference of the best of the best , but most do, once you know what your looking at. The top four (I added Nikon) do have something that I find lacking in the upper mid level options. I guess we get spoiled after using the alphas , once you look through the best you never want to go back.

The Genesis falls behind in snap, crackle pop in the image behind the top four, and imo is closer to the old Swift than to the top alphas. The Kowa is still overall superior to the Swift, but on axis image detail and sharpness is right on par with the Genesis.

Paul

I’ll have a go at it.

I haven’t had all of those together at one time, but I’ve had most of them side-by-side with one another.
I had the Genesis 8x33 side by side with Swaro 8x32SV, Zeiss SF 8x32 , Leica Ultravid 8x32 and NL.
I’ve also had the Genesis 8.5x44 side by side with Swaro SV 8.5x42 , Leica Noctivid 8x42 the NL 8x42 and an old Swift Audubon ED 8.5x44.

My overall summation is the big three Zeiss, Swarovski and Leica are all as good as it gets. I’m not going to go into how each one compares, I’m sure there are numerous discussions on each here on BF. In comparing all these , as usual it comes down to , you pay for what you get. That being said I’ve come to a conclusion over the last few years that imo the $1000 (upper mid grade) price range is kind of a sweet spot when it comes to what you get for the money when comparing them to the best of the best, and the mid level options that range about half that price ($500 range). We seem to get most of the attributes of the best , excellent high quality optics and build. From there improvements are very incremental , and some people for multiple reasons my not see the difference of the best of the best , but most do, once you know what your looking at. The top four (I added Nikon) do have something that I find lacking in the upper mid level options. I guess we get spoiled after using the alphas , once you look through the best you never want to go back.

The Genesis falls behind in snap, crackle pop in the image behind the top four, and imo is closer to the old Swift than to the top alphas. The Kowa is still overall superior to the Swift, but on axis image detail and sharpness is right on par with the Genesis.

Paul
Thank you! 👍🏻

*EDIT: So, in your opinion, although the Kowa Genesis line does not quite match the upper level, but they may be one of the best purchases (price / quality = sweet spot) one can make?

Last edited:
Thank you! 👍🏻

*EDIT: So, in your opinion, although the Kowa Genesis line does not quite match the upper level,
Yes.
but they may be one of the best purchases (price / quality = sweet spot) one can make?
To clarify, the upper mid level $1000 +/- price point may be the best all around bang for the buck. The Genesis falls in that category, not necessarily that it’s the best in that category. All of them are quite good , and it really comes down to which one fits in your hands and on your face the best.

Paul

Yes.

To clarify, the upper mid level $1000 +/- price point may be the best all around bang for the buck. The Genesis falls in that category, not necessarily that it’s the best in that category. All of them are quite good , and it really comes down to which one fits in your hands and on your face the best.

Paul
Thanks again. 👍🏻

I already own the Genesis Prominar XD in 8.5x44 and 10.5x44 (very happy with both), but have never tried / compared them to the Alphas.

Thanks again. 👍🏻

I already own the Genesis Prominar XD in 8.5x44 and 10.5x44 (very happy with both), but have never tried / compared them to the Alphas.
Not much separates them from the so called alphas. I see the difference, but not everybody does. There’s also the fact that some of these upper mid-level binos actually may have one thing or another better than the top of the line. You could take a genesis and then look through a Leica Ultravid and say Genesis is better because it has less CA. But that’s not the whole story, and there are other things that do separate them in other areas.

The 8.5x44 Genesis provided to my deaf eyes, the best, crisp, sharp and detailed image of any binocular I have ever looked through. It was so good when I compared it side by side with a Leica 8x42 Ultravid that I have never owned another Leica ever since, after using them for approximately 15yrs. Unfortunately, as brilliant as the view was through the 8.5x44 Genesis, I didn't get on with their size and weight in real terms use, and consequently I had to reluctantly return them.

The 8.5x44 Genesis provided to my deaf eyes, the best, crisp, sharp and detailed image of any binocular I have ever looked through. It was so good when I compared it side by side with a Leica 8x42 Ultravid that I have never owned another Leica ever since, after using them for approximately 15yrs. Unfortunately, as brilliant as the view was through the 8.5x44 Genesis, I didn't get on with their size and weight in real terms use, and consequently I had to reluctantly return them.
I guess the deaf eyes tells a lot. I’m not sure I understand what you were saying. The Leica ultravid from 15 years ago comparing to a new Genesis? When did you compare them side by side and which models? UVHD and Genesis are not in the same league , but certainly at these optical levels , there are those that don’t see the difference of binoculars costing a $1000 more, as discussed here in dozens of discussions. Not knocking the Kowa’s , I have two.

I guess the deaf eyes tells a lot. I’m not sure I understand what you were saying. The Leica ultravid from 15 years ago comparing to a new Genesis? When did you compare them side by side and which models? UVHD and Genesis are not in the same league , but certainly at these optical levels , there are those that don’t see the difference of binoculars costing a $1000 more, as discussed here in dozens of discussions. Not knocking the Kowa’s , I have two.

Really, what do you guess the deaf eyes tells a lot?

I never said, "The Leica Ultravid from 15yrs ago comparing to a new Genesis." I said, after having used Leica for 15yrs, I stopped using them after comparing my Leica Ultravid 8x42 HD side by side with my Kowa Genesis 8.5x44. I never owned the Leica Ultravid 8x42 HD for 15yrs, I owned Leica Trinovid prior to Ultravid.

I don't currently own Kowa, I own Swarovski, and science dictates that I see the difference much more significantly than the average hearing eyes.

Really, what do you guess the deaf eyes tells a lot?

I never said, "The Leica Ultravid from 15yrs ago comparing to a new Genesis." I said, after having used Leica for 15yrs, I stopped using them after comparing my Leica Ultravid 8x42 HD side by side with my Kowa Genesis 8.5x44. I never owned the Leica Ultravid 8x42 HD for 15yrs, I owned Leica Trinovid prior to Ultravid.

I don't currently own Kowa, I own Swarovski, and science dictates that I see the difference much more significantly than the average hearing eyesou compared the current UVHD's with the current Genesis and preferred the Kowa.
Ok I undesatnd, you compared the current UVHD's 8x42 with the Genesis 8.5x44 and preferred the Kowa, got it. Not only do your eyes ( don't get the hearing analogy) see the less expensive optics as better, you also saved $1000. Good for you, I wish I could do that.

Ok I undesatnd, you compared the current UVHD's 8x42 with the Genesis 8.5x44 and preferred the Kowa, got it. Not only do your eyes ( don't get the hearing analogy) see the less expensive optics as better, you also saved $1000. Good for you, I wish I could do that.
No I didn't, as previously stated, "I didn't get on with their size and weight in real terms use, and consequently I had to reluctantly return them."

I’ll have a go at it.

Paul
Love this - thanks for sharing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back