• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Have you compared the best Kowa (Genesis Prominar XD) side by side against the best Nikon (Monarch HG)? (5 Viewers)

mauriciolacruz

Spain
Have you compared the best Kowa (Genesis Prominar XD) side by side against the best Nikon (Monarch HG)?

How do they stand each other?

Thanks.

For your information, I do already own the Kowa Genesis Prominar XD 8.5x44 and the Kowa Genesis Prominar XD 10.5x44.

I just want to know the opinion of those who have compared any of the Genesis Prominar XD line vs the Alphas (including the Monarch HG).

Thank you.

For your information, I do already own the Kowa Genesis Prominar XD 8.5x44 and the Kowa Genesis Prominar XD 10.5x44.

I just want to know the opinion of those who have compared any of the Genesis Prominar XD line vs the Alphas (including the Monarch HG).

Thank you.
I have had all those binoculars and compared them. The only advantage your Kowa has over the MHG and the alphas is CA. The Kowa Prominar Genesis are one of the best binoculars for controlling CA outside of the Zeiss FL. So if you hate CA, the Kowa is a good choice. Comparing the Kowa's to the MHG the MHG is almost 10 oz. lighter in the 10x42 and the MHG has a much bigger FOV. The edge sharpness is about the same as the Kowas. Comparing the Kowa's to the alphas like the SF, NL, or even EL, the alpha's have a huge advantage in FOV even more so than the MHG and the FOV is sharp to the edge. Most of the alphas are a little lighter than the Kowa like the SF, but the NL 10x42 is pretty close in weight. Comparing the Kowas to the Noctivid the weight, FOV and edge sharpness are about the same but the Noctivid has more saturated colors. The Noctivid has better contrast than the Kowas and there is just something magical about the view. They have excellent on-axis resolution. Every time I looked through my Noctivid it wowed me. The Kowa's are very good binoculars with superb CA control but if you like a bigger FOV in a lighter binocular I would go with the MHG and if you want the ultimate view with the largest FOV and sharp edges, and you don't mind a little extra weight go with one of the alphas. If you like saturated colors, superb contrast. ungodly on-axis sharpness and the best build quality around get a Noctivid.

Last edited:
I have had all those binoculars and compared them. The only advantage your Kowa has over the MHG and the alphas is CA. The Kowa Prominar Genesis are one of the best binoculars for controlling CA outside of the Zeiss FL. So if you hate CA, the Kowa is a good choice. Comparing the Kowa's to the MHG the MHG is almost 10 oz. lighter in the 10x42 and the MHG has a much bigger FOV. The edge sharpness is about the same as the Kowas. Comparing the Kowa's to the alphas like the SF, NL, or even EL, the alpha's have a huge advantage in FOV even more so than the MHG and the FOV is sharp to the edge. Most of the alphas are a little lighter than the Kowa like the SF, but the NL 10x42 is pretty close in weight. The Kowa's are very good binoculars with superb CA control but if you like a bigger FOV in a lighter binocular I would go with the MHG and if you want the ultimate view with the largest FOV and sharp edges, and you don't mind a little extra weight go with one of the alphas.
Thanks for your comments. 😊👍🏻

I have had all those binoculars and compared them. The only advantage your Kowa has over the MHG and the alphas is CA. The Kowa Prominar Genesis are one of the best binoculars for controlling CA outside of the Zeiss FL. So if you hate CA, the Kowa is a good choice. Comparing the Kowa's to the MHG the MHG is almost 10 oz. lighter in the 10x42 and the MHG has a much bigger FOV. The edge sharpness is about the same as the Kowas. Comparing the Kowa's to the alphas like the SF, NL, or even EL, the alpha's have a huge advantage in FOV even more so than the MHG and the FOV is sharp to the edge. Most of the alphas are a little lighter than the Kowa like the SF, but the NL 10x42 is pretty close in weight. Comparing the Kowas to the Noctivid the weight, FOV and edge sharpness are about the same but the Noctivid has more saturated colors. The Noctivid has better contrast than the Kowas and there is just something magical about the view. They have excellent on-axis resolution. Every time I looked through my Noctivid it wowed me. The Kowa's are very good binoculars with superb CA control but if you like a bigger FOV in a lighter binocular I would go with the MHG and if you want the ultimate view with the largest FOV and sharp edges, and you don't mind a little extra weight go with one of the alphas. If you like saturated colors, superb contrast. ungodly on-axis sharpness and the best build quality around get a Noctivid.
I hate it when you write what I’m thinking before I write it ✌🏼🙏🏼. Well described.

I actually agree with Dennis on this lol.

I love my HGs and their lightweight seals the deal. I’ve had ELs and SFs that I didn’t like as much and no longer own. I imagine most would prefer the alphas. Best to check out as many as you can and then decide what works best for you.

I actually agree with Dennis on this lol.

I love my HGs and their lightweight seals the deal. I’ve had ELs and SFs that I didn’t like as much and no longer own. I imagine most would prefer the alphas. Best to check out as many as you can and then decide what works best for you.
The HG's are nice because they are LIGHT, and they don't give up much to the EL and SF, and they are way less expensive. Weight is really important when the binoculars are hanging around your neck all day. It is nice to have a binocular that costs less than $1000 because you don't have so much money tied up in it. You see more alphas in the classified than anything else because if people don't use them a lot, and they need some extra cash for an emergency, they know where they can get $3000 and the NL is the first thing to go. If your binocular only costs $500 you figure you might as well keep it because it isn't worth that much.

The HG's are nice because they are LIGHT, and they don't give up much to the EL
I recently (within a year) took my Nikon MHG 8x42 to a camera store that had Swarovski products . I did a brief side by side comparison with the 8.5x42 EL . You can tell that the EL's a better binocular but not by much is correct . I preferred the feel of the Monarch in my hands and also like the Monarch's look .

I recently (within a year) took my Nikon MHG 8x42 to a camera store that had Swarovski products . I did a brief side by side comparison with the 8.5x42 EL . You can tell that the EL's a better binocular but not by much is correct . I preferred the feel of the Monarch in my hands and also like the Monarch's look .
The EL is not worth 2x as much as the MHG is it. I also prefer the form factor and light weight of the MHG. The EL and NL are big, heavy binoculars. I have a little arthritis in my shoulder and I have moved away from the heavier binoculars. I like under 24 oz. anymore.

The EL is not worth 2x as much as the MHG is it. I also prefer the form factor and light weight of the MHG. The EL and NL are big, heavy binoculars. I have a little arthritis in my shoulder and I have moved away from the heavier binoculars. I like under 24 oz. anymore.
Must be my lucky week, i’m disagreeing with you again.
EL and MHG not even close, swaros are one of the top 3-4 best money can buy. As far worth is, that is subjective and is in the pocket of the beholder.

🙏
Paul

What I can say is that, beyond certain quality, improvements become more and more difficult & more and more costly.

At some point, an increase of, let's say, 20% in quality, comes with an increase of 50% in price.

And at the next step, an increase of an extra 10% in quality, comes with an increase of 100% in price (twice as much).

It's just an example.

I mean, as the quality increases in gradual smaller steps, the price does it in gradual bigger steps. It's a geometric and not an arithmetic progression (price vs quality follows an upward curve of increasing slope, and not a straight line.)

I'm not revealing anything new here, I know. But it's true that in the end it comes down to a very personal point of view to decide if something being 10 or 20% better is worth twice the price, especially at this price level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back