• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Have you had a "close encounter " with a bird whilst driving? (1 Viewer)

One of my worst day's birding was during a holiday in Scotland a few years ago. The highpoint was supposed to be a drive along the north coast where we had see Arctic Skua, Puffins, Merlin etc during a previous holiday. This time there was was thick fog so we saw nothing apart from tantalising glimpses of the occasional Fulmar flying in and out of the fog.
We decided to head south at which point the fog cleared and the rain started. It became so heavy that I began to doubt whether we would make it to our destination. At one point saw a bird in the road. "Look, a Snipe," I shouted before there was a sickening thump. To my knowledge it's the only bird I've ever hit.
Perhaps it was so dispirited by the torrential rain that it forgot to fly away. Or else it was under the impression that it was sitting safely in the middle of a marsh.
Graham

I have had many, too many. Regulary we are driving along and a Blue tit or another songbird literally skims the windscreen. Lucky things.
I have had an ocassion where we were driving along the motorway and a pheasant (famous for having no sign of intelligence) ran in front of the car about 100 yards ahead. It seemed really confused and was running back and forth really stressed out. Luckily it missed our car but only for a couple more seconds when it was curtains cos the car behind got it.
Last year at the British Birdwatching Fair we were on our way and a woodpigeon decided to fly off out of a bush right infront of the car. It quickly realized it was in trouble and was flapping furiously, constanly looking behind it. It then saw an opertunity to escape so it swerved over to the other side of the road were it instantly turned into a feather bomb when it collided with a truck!
Poor birds, need to learn the green cross code. I personally think there are too many cars on the road and it is seriously affecing our wildlife.

senatore said:
As a birdwatcher is it possible to "switch off" when you are driving? I'm not sure I can !!!

Me neither Max! It's worse when you are driving along the winding country lanes up here in Northumberland as there's always something flying around!
I start work early so drive in to Alnwick at 5am and the main problem at the moment is the number of baby rabbits that are feeding on the verges at the side of the road - it's got to the point where I'm leaving the house earlier to allow for slower driving just in case one decides to jump out in front of me! :'D

Pheasants!!!!!!!!!! They are suicidal up here and I automatically slow to a crawl if I see one cos you can guarantee that they WILL throw themselves in front of your car!
Two weeks ago I had to stop the car as two male blackbirds were having a right scrap in the middle of the road - i had to honk the horn to get them to move!
Woodpigeons and Collared doves don't move until the last second!!!

When we lived in the hills I once had a female Sparrowhawk flying up the hill level with my door! She must have only been, what, three feet away and stayed level with us ( Neil was driving so I could concentrate on the bird) until w were virtually at the top before she suddenly swooped up over us and into the trees. Best view I've ever had!

Had quite a few Barn Owls flying level with the car on a number of occasions too. And I was once driving along the A1 after just leaving Morpeth when I saw a Barn Owl hunting along the verge - VERY distracting at 4.30pm on a sunny afternoon when you are on a 70mph road!!!!!

I've now perfected the art of keeping one eye on the road and one on the birds LOL Bit like a chameleon!!! ;)

The house sparrows that walk around the parking lot of my apt complex looking for bits to eat love to dart out in front of my car when I go by them. Luckily I'm not going very fast and can stop. The mourning doves on the other hand, just slowly waddle away from the car as I approach.

While going faster on the road I've had several birds dart in front of me. I haven't hit one, yet. Off the top of my head, they include: juv red-headed woodpecker, starling, house sparrow, cardinal.

Hi there, collisions with birds is unfortunate, for the birds, however if your not driving a car that has a nice protective wind screen that stops the bird from making contact with you. If in fact your riding a motor bike then the birds feel very real when they fly into you travelling at 60 miles an hour, even a bird as small as a sparrow feels more like a crow hitting you.

Safest option a HGV!!!

Ross :t:

Mary Evelyn said:
We were out early one morning and 5 partridges flew above us.The middle one decided to commit suicide and came slap bang into the front of our car.
Really spoilt our day.Fortunately,that's the only bird we have hit. B :)

Don't suppose it did much for his day either, Mary!

Nice encounter: OH driving along the lane at dusk, me as passenger, and a barn owl flew along ahead of us about 2 metres away for about half a mile - awesome sight.

Nasty encounter: OH driving through countryside one afternoon and a female pheasant went smack into the grille but bounced off. He says he thought it walked off into the field. When he got home he had to remove an awful lot of feathers and blood from radiator. :eek!:

As a birdwatcher is it possible to "switch off" when you are driving? I'm not sure I can !!!
Nope. Can't be done. You see so many interesting birds on the roadside. I've gotten quite a few lifers from the window of my car from Swainson's hawks and lesser black-backed gulls to trumpeter swans and California quail. And of course, long ago, I saw red-tails and turkey vultures for the first time through my car window on camping trips. One of the things that started me birding.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back