• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor encounter, North-eastern Perthshire (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Sorry, no photograph. This afternoon I was driving in the hills to the north of Blairgowrie, when suddenly a raptor flew from a branch to another at the side of the road. It was such a surprise, but I found myself muttering... that was huge! Then brushed it off thinking it was just a Buzzard.

However, before I could reset my thoughts it flew again, unfortunately it was in silhouette so all I really saw on the underneath of the fanned tail was a white terminal band. Never noticed that on a Buzzard says I, drove on thinking, then decided to pull over and check my Collins app. Buzzard pics there don't show that feature, so started scrolling through them all and came to Gyr Falcon which did!!

Then I remembered someone telling me that a Gyr had been seen in the area, but I don't know the history of it. Not really sure how knowledgeable they are.

To complete the story... a few minutes after checking the app, a female Hen Harrier flew across, white rump was very clear.

After a faulty start to my day (an even longer story!!), it ended up not bad LOL

I'd appreciate your thoughts?

thoughts?
That you probably saw a hen harrier and a never-to-be-identified biggish raptor?
on the underneath of the fanned tail was a white terminal band. Never noticed that on a Buzzard says I, drove on thinking, then decided to pull over and check my Collins app. Buzzard pics there don't show that feature, so started scrolling through them all and came to Gyr Falcon which did!!
I don't see this on gyrfalcon in the Collins app, I'm afraid - nor in any other source I have to hand - except for a very narrow whitish tip to the tail - which can also be present on many raptor spp - including common buzzard.

We've got a Saker Falcon loose here in Dundee and the guy who lost that one, did let me know about a female Gyr (just checked conversation on Facebook) which had gone missing from Blairgowrie last April. Never heard if he got it back, though if he did, it wasn't in the few weeks afterwards. The Saker is surviving Scottish winters fine and a Gyr would certainly not struggle here, so whether that was what you saw or not (and I know you're familiar with what Buzzards look like given how prevalent they are locally), it could be a possibility. Goshawk might be another possibility?

That you probably saw a hen harrier and a never-to-be-identified biggish raptor?
Ha ha!!
I don't see this on gyrfalcon in the Collins app, I'm afraid - nor in any other source I have to hand - except for a very narrow whitish tip to the tail - which can also be present on many raptor spp - including common buzzard.
Mmmm.... it certainly isn't as broad as I remembered.... but a quick look through at the time it was the only one I saw, but I can't remember seeing any other barring up the tail, but it just seemed all black in that light.

We've got a Saker Falcon loose here in Dundee and the guy who lost that one, did let me know about a female Gyr (just checked conversation on Facebook) which had gone missing from Blairgowrie last April. Never heard if he got it back, though if he did, it wasn't in the few weeks afterwards. The Saker is surviving Scottish winters fine and a Gyr would certainly not struggle here, so whether that was what you saw or not (and I know you're familiar with what Buzzards look like given how prevalent they are locally), it could be a possibility. Goshawk might be another possibility?
Thanks for the confirmation of the Gyr possibly being around Barry. Struggling to find any pictures of a Goshawk showing the tail well at the moment.

It was just that it was such an obvious feature.

Some birds just can't be identified from such a fleeting view. But if there was a realistic chance it was a gyr, and the area you saw it in wasn't too far away, I'd find a good viewpoint and scan around for a few hours (maybe not today or tomorrow, not that a bird like that would mind the cold!). There's probably a reasonable chance of seeing it again, and you might get a better view.

Last edited:
Yes! Thanks Barry.

It looked rather wider and neater on the one I saw; it really contrasted against the black silhouette of the rest of him. But it has to be the most likely explanation.

Yes! Thanks Barry.

It looked rather wider and neater on the one I saw; it really contrasted against the black silhouette of the rest of him. But it has to be the most likely explanation.
Most likely, but you'll never know for certain (unless you get a repeat performance that tallies with what you saw).

No, I know... frustrating. It would mean getting the sun at the same angle etc etc LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back