• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Have You Seen Any of These Birds? (3 Viewers)

In order that I can manage this thread most effectively, I included a couple of stipulations in my initial post on this thread. You can check back to that post and see what those were.

This was not meant to exclude anyone, just to make the thread itself more manageable. I only take note of the people visiting this particular thread and include those birds which they think "no one visitiing this thread" have seen. Then also, I move the birds (so named above) to the "seen list" when "someone visiting this thread" tells me that they have seen a particular bird.

To clarify: I do not not move a bird from the "unseen list" to the "seen list" if a person tells me that they know someone who has seen a particular bird. I need to be informed of that fact by the person who has seen the bird.

Hope this helps you understand the procedure I use in managing this thread.

* I see that Ian Fulton has only posted to BirdForum one time and that was to point out trip report for the tour of Sao Tome & Principe. If he wishes to participate in the "seen"/"unseen" thread I am managing, I am sure he is most welcomed!

For india- I would say,
Mangrove pitta
Masked finfoot
Himalayan quail (Possibly extinct)
Spoon-billed sandpiper
Nicobar parakeet
Blue pitta
Pale-capped Pigeon
White crowned forktail

Hi Larry. You can move Mangrove ( plenty of BFer's must have this species ) and Blue Pittas, Spoonbilled Sandpiper ( lots of us must have this one as well ) and Masked Finfoot to the seen category - all to me :t:B :)

Chris

Last edited:
Shantanu, this thread is concerned with birds that someone visiting this thread has seen "any where in the world".

* It is a nice touch to have people mention when and where they encountered the bird, though.

I have moved the following from the "not seen" to the "seen" list:

Blue Pitta
Mangrove Pitta
Masked Finfoot
Pale-capped Pigeon
Spoonbilled Sandpiper
White-crowned Forktail

Thanks, Chris and Larry

Larry, you can move these to the seen list:

Sierra Leone Prinia - saw it last year on Mt Nimba
Snow Mountain Quail - saw it in 1992 in Irian Jaya / West Papua

If Peter Morris visits the thread he can remove Mad Pochard for you. And I think one of our Hawaiian members can remove the Hawaiian Crow.

I think the list is starting to look quite robust (most of those left are really difficult birds) , but there are probably more that could be added.

cheers, alan

Alan,
Sierra Leone Prinia (moved to "seen" list)
Snow Mountain Quail (already in the "seen" list)

Added to the "not seen" list
Sulu Hornbill, aka Montano's Hornbill

I am not ready to "go out shopping" for more participants to this thread. But, if any of you would like to invite someone "on board", please feel free to do so! "The more the merrier!"

I wonder what the"easiest" bird not seen by anyone visiting this thread is? There might be something not too rare out there that we've all managed to miss between us!

bkrownd has Hawaiian Crow, so you can check that one off.

I would imagine that there are some widespread rails and owls with decent population sizes that might fall under the "easiest to see but not seen category"

I would like to get some feedback on whether or not the "possibly, probably, maybe, etc." extinct species should be left on the list or deleted. I would appreciate all replies on this isssue. And then, if I can determine a consensus, I will act accordingly.

You may respond here or by a PM/email.

Thank you All.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back