• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Have You Seen Any of These Birds? (1 Viewer)

I think those should be judged on a case by case basis. Some possibly extinct birds just haven't had a serious search performed for them. Others are probably legitimately extinct.

Larry,

You can also remove Brown-eared Pheasant, I've seen them at Xialongmen National Forest Reserve, Beijing and I suspect a certain member above is shortly to do the same elsewhere.

Anyone seen Dja River Warbler, perhaps should be added to the list....maybe not?
Glaucous Macaw is sadly probably extinct.

Last edited:
Mark, I have added Dja River Warbler to the "not seen" list.
* from BirdLife International, this species is known from 8 widely separated locations (Gabon and Cameroon), but there are few records because of its difficult to get to habitat and poor knowledge of its call.

Brown-eared Pheasant is now in the "seen" list.

Glaucous Macaw amended to (assumed extinct) in "not seen" list.

You have coco's island finch (AKA cocos finch), but you could probably add to the not seen list:
Cocos Flycatcher
Cocos Cuckoo

all three from a small, distant island belonging to Costa Rica

Niels

Mark, I have added Dja River Warbler to the "not seen" list.
* from BirdLife International, this species is known from 8 widely separated locations (Gabon and Cameroon), but there are few records because of its difficult to get to habitat and poor knowledge of its call.

Yes, it's an awkward one hence the prompt, one sadly missing from my Cameroon list despite many visits.

Yes, it's an awkward one hence the prompt, one sadly missing from my Cameroon list despite many visits.

Mark

I think now easy on the standard circuit (eg Birdquest) in Gabon. Of course that still needs someone to have seen it on here. Has no-one seen Dwarf Olive Ibis? I find that amazing - 100s of people must have seen that by now...

cheers, a

Mark

I think now easy on the standard circuit (eg Birdquest) in Gabon. Of course that still needs someone to have seen it on here. Has no-one seen Dwarf Olive Ibis? I find that amazing - 100s of people must have seen that by now...

cheers, a

You're probably right Alan with regards the DRW, quite a few Sao Tome species on the list, guess no-one that has been there has actually seen this thread yet. I never quite got over there despite working on bird conservation/education stuff, its on the 'almost made it' list.

Last edited:
Hi Larry. You can move Usambara Akalat and Usambara Weaver to the seen list. I saw both at Lushoto in Tanzania in December 1998. Also Winifred's (aka Mrs Moreau's) Warbler seen in the Uluguru Mountains on the same trip.
Alison

How about adding Mayr's Honeyeater, Chestnut-shouldered Goshawk, Broad-billed Fairy-wren, Fly River Grassbird, Huon Melidectes - all very difficult NG species. I don't know anyone who has seen them. Several are gettable with effort, e.g. the Grassbird.

cheers, alan

A few difficult (but not impossible) species suggested to add to the not seen list from Africa:

Plumed Guineafowl, Chestnut-headed (Long-toed) Flufftail, Streaky-breasted Flufftail, Niam-niam Parrot, Neumann's Coucal, Maned Owl

cheers, alan

I would like to get some feedback on whether or not the "possibly, probably, maybe, etc." extinct species should be left on the list or deleted. I would appreciate all replies on this isssue. And then, if I can determine a consensus, I will act accordingly.

You may respond here or by a PM/email.

Thank you All.

Considering species are being "re-discovered" with embarrasing frequency I'd vote for leaving them on - just in case ;)

Chris

My wife, Brenda, and I are currently in Kearney, Nebraska, to see the Sandhill Cranes. I will try to update the seen/unseen lists as time and computer access at the motel allow.

Alison,
Usambara Akalat was not on the "unseen" list
Usambara Hyliota (moved to the "seen" list)
Usambara Weaver (moved to the "seen" list)
Winifred's Warbler, aka Mrs. Moreau's Warbler (moved to the "seen" list)

Added to "not seen" list:
Broad-billed Fairy-Wren
Chestnut-headed Flufftail (Long-toed)
Chestnut-shouldered Goshawk
Fly River Grassbird
Huon Melidectes
Maned Owl
Neumann's Coucal
Niam-niam Parrot
Plumed Guineafowl
Streaky-breasted Flufftail

Oops, Sorry Larry, blame Al ;)

I've seen Plumed Guineafowl in southern Cameroon. Heard lugens and saw movement but not listed.

A few difficult (but not impossible) species suggested to add to the not seen list from Africa:

Plumed Guineafowl, Chestnut-headed (Long-toed) Flufftail, Streaky-breasted Flufftail, Maned Owl

cheers, alan

Good list Al, all occur in Cameroon but the last three certainly not easy!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back