• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Have You Seen Any of These Birds? (2 Viewers)

An interesting place HERE where you can view the lists of world's 623 rarest birds. The list can be viewed to see all 623 or you can view the extinct in the wild (EW), critically endangered (CR), endangered (EN) or data deficient (DD) lists.

I thought I might add some of the CR and/or EN birds to the "seen/not seen" lists (which are posted on this thread on page 2, post # 39).

* I did a quick check and found quite a few birds on the Critically endangered list (from above) which some of the people visiting this thread have seen. I thought that this was pretty amazing!

Last edited:
did a quick search of the thread with no hits so appologies if they've already been posted. But what about Chestnut-breasted and Worcester's Buttonquails?

It does not meet the parameters of the thread, however, Des Allen (pretty sure he is a member) identified a Worcester's from some photos done by someone? (don't know if hunters, or somebody doing mist-netting for bioassay) three or four years ago (Dalton Pass on Luzon). Pretty sure it is uploaded to OBI.

Has anyone seen my 'nom de ave' Gilliard's Honeyeater, I know it has a couple of other names too? It doesn't feature on the seen or not seen lists so is either so common that everyone has seen it or so rare that no one's thought about it.

Either way there appears to be no photographs of the thing on the net. I'd love to know what I looked like, and if anyone has seen me!

Gilliard's Honeyeater, Melidectes whitemanensis

Other common names: Bismarck/Gilliard's/Vose’s/Whiteman (Mountain) Melidectes, New Britain Honeyeater

It is endemic to Papua New Guinea.

* I have added it to the "not seen" list.
** Listed as Near Threatened by the IUCN in 2008.

Hi Larry,

seems like most of the neomorphus ground-cuckoos have been seen?
Red-billed Ground-cuckoo
Scaled Ground-cuckoo

Others are probably 'easier' (Banded, Rufous-vented, Rufous-winged) and should have been seen. I also notice no Tinamous are ever mentioned (Black, Berlepsch's, Gray-legged, Black-capped,...).
I'll try hard to get 2-3 from the list by the end of 2012 :)

I do not know how many of the birds of the world have been seen collectively by all birders. But one person did see over 8,400 species!

Phoebe Snetsinger (now deceased) who lived in Webster Groves, Missouri amassed a list of birds seen of over 8,400. She was killed in an automobile accident in Madagascar while on a birding trip there.

Here is an article from "The New York Times".

From the Birdquest pages:
We are currently updating the 'Birdquest Life List', something we have been meaning to do for ages, and the extraordinary totals for bird species that have been seen on Birdquest tours look likely to be approaching 9,500 species (out of roughly 10,000) based on Clements taxonomy and approaching 10,000 species (out of about 10,500) based on the increasingly-widely-followed IOC (International Ornithological Congress) list! If we count heard-only species then the totals are a bit higher still.

André

It's a very strange question: how many birds have been seen by birders...
My answer is: all of them! That is, if you consider anyone seeing/discovering a bird as being a birder (I consider scientists working on birds as being 'birders').
Maybe, if the question was directed to only the people here on birdforum, it would be well over 9500.

The few birds not seen by birders have not been discovered, save the odd bird seen only by some locals and never by a birder in real life, or some extinct species that have been seen by some 90-year old people that don't describe themselves as 'birders'.

Gullick has almost 9000. The list where most people post their life list is here:
http://surfbirds.com/cgi-bin/surfbirds/display.cgi?list=list1&lowVal=0&highVal=49

Actually, several species were discovered but never "seen." About nine Long-whiskered Owlets were mist-netted in Peru over 30 years before anyone saw one free. The recently described Bryan's Shearwater was described from a specimen found dead on a beach; it has subsequently been been found and possibly breeds in the Bonin islands.

Andy

My answer is: all of them! That is, if you consider anyone seeing/discovering a bird as being a birder (I consider scientists working on birds as being 'birders').

Maybe, if the question was directed to only the people here on birdforum, it would be well over 9500.

The few birds not seen by birders have not been discovered, save the odd bird seen only by some locals and never by a birder in real life, or some extinct species that have been seen by some 90-year old people that don't describe themselves as 'birders'.

Gullick has almost 9000. The list where most people post their life list is here:
http://surfbirds.com/cgi-bin/surfbirds/display.cgi?list=list1&lowVal=0&highVal=49

I probably should have said currently active listers, rather than birders, I am not sure I would put all/most scientist in that bracket.

I am aware of Tom Gullick's 8,935 but I guess the reason for the question was 'what is the likely theoretical maximum anyone one birder could aim for?'
It is sounding like c.9,500 could be the number. With the other 500 unseen by anyone other than their finders and any locals.

Another question: why are there 500 unseen species? I presume lack of access, safety concerns and no real site data would be the main reasons, oh and possible extinction.

GH

I would imagine the only real maximum is the number of birds recognized. If you were a billionaire with lots of political connections and free time, probably any bird could be possible.

Getting back on track

An interesting discussion, indeed, but to get this thread back on track I think we need to get back to submitting the names of birds which we think no one who posts to this thread has seen.

Getting back to the ground-cuckoos/tinamous, * I will see which ones ( suggested by "temmie") need to go on the "not seen" list.

These two are already on the "seen" list:
Banded Ground-Cuckoo (seen)
Scaled Ground-Cuckoo (seen)

And, temmie, here are a couple of tinamous which have been taken off of the "not seen" list and put on the "seen" list:
Dwarf Tinamou (seen)
Tepui Tinamou (seen)

I will put these on the "not seen" by anyone posting to this thread:
Red-billed Ground-Cuckoo
Rufous-vented Ground-Cuckoo
Rufous-winged Ground-Cuckoo

Black-capped Tinamou
Black Tinamou
Berlepsch's Tinamou
Gray-legged Tinamou

** This is already on the "not seen" list:
Sumatran Ground-Cuckoo, Carpococcyx viridis

** This one is not on either list:
Bornean Ground-Cuckoo, Carpococcyx radiceus

Lists are found HERE.

Black-capped Tinamou was heard daily in small numbers in bamboo along the upper Tambopata in SE Peru (e.g., Tambopata Research Center). I saw them occasionally, but they are tough to see.

Andy

I will put these on the "not seen" by anyone posting to this thread:
Red-billed Ground-Cuckoo
Rufous-vented Ground-Cuckoo
Rufous-winged Ground-Cuckoo

Black-capped Tinamou
Black Tinamou
Berlepsch's Tinamou
Gray-legged Tinamou

I've seen all of the Neomorphus ground cuckoos---Banded (Ecuador), Rufous-vented (eastern Brazil), Scaled (east Amazonian Brazil) and Rufous-winged (Guyana and Venezuela), with the exception of Red-billed.

I've seen Gray-legged Tinamou too, and will endeavour to finally nail Berlepsch's during my next long South American field trip.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back