• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Have You Seen Any of These Birds? (1 Viewer)

I had Palau Owl last year. Pretty 'easy' on Babeldouap. There is one behind the Capitol building most nights. Ryukyu Scops Owl most years on Amami-oshima + Okinawa and I'm sure the Socotra and Comoran endemics have all been cleaned up by people on here.

Chris

Last edited:
Has anyone seen:
Socotra Sparrow
Abd-al Kuri Sparrow (possibly subspecies of Socotra sparrow)
Island Cistocla
Socotra Starling
Socotra bunting
Palau Owl
Andaman Scops Owl
Flores Scops Owl
Mindanao Scops Owl
Luzon Scops Owl
Mindoro Scops Owl
Ryuku Scops Owl
Mantani Scops Owl
Sangihe Scops Owl
Biak Scops Owl
Simeule Scops Owl
Enggano Scops Owl
Anjouan Scops Owl
Moheli Scops Owl
Serendib Scops Owl

I think the Serendib Scops Owl should have been seen by somebody. Not really easy but not that difficult either on Sri Lanka.

I wonder if its worth to put Lesser Masked Owl or Tagula Butcherbird and Tagula Honeyeater on the list?

Last edited:
Has anyone seen:
Socotra Sparrow
Abd-al Kuri Sparrow (possibly subspecies of Socotra sparrow)
Island Cistocla
Socotra Starling
Socotra bunting

Actually I doubt anyone here has seen Abd Al Kuri Sparrow, for the island is extremely difficult to reach. I certainly haven't, except for specimens (all of them in existence), but all the other Socotran endemics have been seen by me and doubtless others on here.

I've seen Unspotted Saw-whet Owl in Chiapas in October 2001. (Special case ended.)

Rob H can delete most if the owls suggested by timsg80 and I can delete a few. The sparrow Guy hasn't seen is probably the only one that nobody on this thread has seen and the only one I would add to the list of birds not seen.

cheers, alan

I think the Serendib Scops Owl should have been seen by somebody. Not really easy but not that difficult either on Sri Lanka.

I wonder if its worth to put Lesser Masked Owl or Tagula Butcherbird and Tagula Honeyeater on the list?

I've seen both subspecies of Lesser Masked Owl, including one just last week! All of those Otus previously mentioned I, or Rob H have seen...

J

timsg80, it is quite difficult for me to work with your lists because you are giving me some species which are already on the "Not seen" or already on the "Seen" lists as well as your new additions. Please check the lists as they now stand before you suggest new additions. I will appreciate your willingness to do this.

Trying something new here. Let me know if you can see the lists here.

Updated October 30, 2012

NOT SEEN LIST:
Island Cistocla

This seems to be a hangover from an earlier list; as reiterated in my last post, I’ve seen this cisticola.

A few additional species on the Not Seen list should surely be queried as extinct? (e.g. Pink-headed Duck, Guadalupe Storm-Petrel, just to mention two).

Spectacled Flowerpecker doesn’t have a scientific name, as it hasn’t been described yet.

Also, please remove the apostrophe from Cocos and Marquesas (they should be as spelt here) and it is Hoogerwerf’s Pheasant (for the Dutch ornithologist of the same name).

Alan, which of these owls have you seen?

Andaman Scops Owl
Flores Scops Owl
Mindanao Scops Owl
Luzon Scops Owl
Mindoro Scops Owl
Mantani Scops Owl
Simeule Scops Owl
Enggano Scops Owl
Anjouan Scops Owl
Moheli Scops Owl

* I do not think Rob H has posted in this thread, so do not know which of these he has seen.

Alan, which of these owls have you seen?

Andaman Scops Owl
Flores Scops Owl
Mindanao Scops Owl
Luzon Scops Owl
Mindoro Scops Owl
Mantani Scops Owl
Simeule Scops Owl
Enggano Scops Owl
Anjouan Scops Owl
Moheli Scops Owl

* I do not think Rob H has posted in this thread, so do not know which of these he has seen.

I've seen:

Andaman Scops Owl
Flores Scops Owl
Mindanao Scops Owl
Mantanani Scops Owl
Simeulue Scops Owl

Rob H has posted previously and seen the rest bar Enggano Scops.

J

I have upgraded the lists (Post # 1 attached an rtf file) with your list above.

I can not find a Rob H previously posting to this thread.

Thanks, Chris.

I will take a look and see what is going on with the lists attachment in post # 1.

Edit:
I have entered it as a text file using Notebook on my computer (BF Update.txt)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back