• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Have You Seen Any of These Birds? (3 Viewers)

Brenda's condition has not improved significantly and I am being kept rather busy. I will update the lists when I have a little more time to do so.

I found a little time this morning to update the lists (found attached to post # 1).

Let me know of an addendum/correction/etc.

(* Brenda still not able to swallow very well. We may have to go to the Mayo Clinic in Rochcester, Minnesota or to a special clinic in Chicago, Illinois.)

I did a little "tweaking" of the "Not Seen"/"Seen" bird lists found as an attachment in the first post of this thread. (* Or see attachment below.)

(* Brenda is still not able to eat regular food, but is slowing getting better. Hopefully she will be able to eat normally before too long.)

Attachments

• June 20 - 2013 Undated Lists.txt
    10.2 KB · Views: 333
(* Brenda is still not able to eat regular food, but is slowing getting better. Hopefully she will be able to eat normally before too long.)

That is good news Larry.

Best wishes to you both.

Hi Larry,

I have seen (and photographed) Tsingy Wood-rail.
See the image on Surfbirds from October 2012 : http://01271bfede0954168758-da10412...edf.r83.cf1.rackcdn.com/20121026121653819.jpg

Has anyone on the forum seen the recently discovered Rinjani Scops Owls?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...ling-owl_n_2685512.html?ir=Science&ref=topbar

If have seen this one in July 2013.
Here is a picture: https://sphotos-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/396991_10152096461647942_936027887_n.jpg

Best wishes to your wife, too!

Last edited:
Thanks Temmie! I will update the lists later as I am off this morning to band some birds. We are beginning to get some of the migrant wood warblers moving through!

My wife is beginning to get better! Thanks for your comment!

Did you ever see a Kakapo in New Zealand? If you did your a very lucky man as there are less than 150 remaining.

One of the few privilages of age, is having seen species which have been denied to younger generations. It is also a source of sadness.

Twenty odd years ago, there was a known site near Fijordland and a fair walk to it could provide almost guaranteed observation. Although it was a general holiday with my elderly Mother, a few days of birding were fitted in. Although successful with Kakapo, I failed to see any of the 5 Kiwi species or any of the 3 Wekas. I also missed Blue Duck, Brown Teal, Morepork.....

In case Kirtland's Warbler is still on the list, I had one within a metre of my boots at Magee Marsh, Ohio and saw them most years near Graying Mi, when living in Michigan.

I was also surprised to see Little Buttonquail on the list, having seen 3 coveys in both The Gambia and India (unless the taxonomists have now split the species). Having only seen Buttonquail of any sort 5 times, I had considered this the easy one.

I can add
Dusky Babbler Turdoides tenebrosa Murchison Falls, Uganda
Numfor Paradise Kingfisher Numfor, West Papua
Kibale Ground Thrush - heard only Mgahinga, Uganda

ian

One of the few privilages of age, is having seen species which have been denied to younger generations. It is also a source of sadness.

Twenty odd years ago, there was a known site near Fijordland and a fair walk to it could provide almost guaranteed observation. Although it was a general holiday with my elderly Mother, a few days of birding were fitted in. Although successful with Kakapo, .

Were kakapo really stilll seeable in Fiordland in the early 1990s? I thought the last ones had been removed long before that (originally to LBI I think?).

cheers, alan

I did not see Cambodian Tailorbird on either list? Now recognized by both Clements and IOC

Niels

Were kakapo really stilll seeable in Fiordland in the early 1990s? I thought the last ones had been removed long before that (originally to LBI I think?).

You are probably correct, Alan. Time flies and "twenty odd" was careless. It would be about 30 years ago, I guess about 1983/4, after my father died. I have the notes somewhere in a four drawer filing cabinet. I pretend that I'll sort them out some day and develop a life list. I guess even my last visit to New Zealand, which coincided with the millenium (The proper one 2000/01) is a while ago now.

After starting out at an ungodly hour, you met a guide at a town called Milford, and eventually one could scope a bird on a cliff. As I remember, it was supposed to be a male (not that I would have known). It was hard work but it seemed like going to look at the last Dodo. I believe, however, that another population was found around that time and birds were transferred to an island -- rather like the Tiri Tiri project. Still you will be far more aware of what happened than I am. These days I would certainly not be fit enough for the treck.

Dave

I will work on updating the lists when I have a little more time.

* I do not find Little Buttonquail (Turnix velox) being suggested by anyone for the "Not seen" list.

Lists updated today, September 3, 2013 (See attachment to post # 1 of this thread)

Kakapo and Kirtland's Warbler were already on the "Seen List".
Little Buttonquail, Turnix velox, was not on the "Not seen" nor on the "Seen" lists.
* Please note: on this thread you can not suggest a bird that you believe no one visiting this thread has seen and then immediately say that you have seen it.

These three (3) species have been moved from the "Not seen" to the "Seen" list: Dusky Babbler, Numfor Paradise Kingfisher and Kibale Ground Thrush (this one heard only).
Cambodian Tailorbird has been added to the "Not seen" list.

Richard Henry (who died last year) was moved from Fiordland in 1975. The last known year for kakapo in Fiordland was 1987 (three males survived until then). I hadn't known general birders had gone in to see them!!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back