• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawk ID Texas (1 Viewer)

I don't know??? It has a wing window and fine bars on the tail like a juv RTH. The belly pattern looks a bit like a belly band. No discernible patagial bar but maybe it's a lighting angle?
Bob

Looks fine for juvenile Red-shouldered Hawk, as initially suggested. There is no belly band -- the breast is heavily streaked with almost continuous streaking from the throat to lower breast. Shoulders are pale and patagial bars are clearly absent.

Best,
Jim

Thanks

Thanks, everyone.
I thought RSH because it was with 7 other hawks; the only ones I saw clearly were both adult RSH. The 8 were circling and swooping at/round each other, which seemed like very odd behavior.
Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back