• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello, and a question for you (1 Viewer)

Montaillac

France
Hi
I have just signed up in the forum. We live in South West France and have a fairly wide range of visitors to our garden. Over the years I have made a number of nesting boxes and a variety of feeding devices. This year is the first year we’ve had birds nesting in the one box we have a camera in, and I do not understand what is going on, and would appreciate any help or advice.

Great Tits took over the box and started building a nest in it on 1 March. She continued to build, but in the morning only, until the 18th March. On that date she spent her first night roosting in the box. We understood that to mean she was going to lay the following morning, and on subsequent mornings until she had a brood, when she would then settle and incubate the eggs.

We also understood that she would hide the eggs within the nest material until she was ready to incubate, so weren’t suprised not to see any eggs. However, she is still roosting, almost 3 weeks after the first night, and is showing no signs of settling on her eggs. She returns to the nest at irregular intervals during the day, and pokes a bit of nest material around before leaving.

In summary then, she spent almost 3 weeks building a nest, and has spent almost 3 weeks roosting in it, and there is no sign of her settling to incubate. Is this normal behaviour?

Thanks for any help or guidance.

Attachments

• 5F6B1E8C-B553-4041-9221-E06AAD6F952C.jpeg
    5F6B1E8C-B553-4041-9221-E06AAD6F952C.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 5
Hi Montaillac and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I moved your post to the Garden Birds forum, as I think they'll be better placed to help you in there.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi Montaillac and welcome to BirdForum. Not sure what’s going on with the birds there other than I think she may have made more than one nest and perhaps is using the other?

Rich

Hi there Montaillac and a warm welcome to you . (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here and I hope that you enjoy your visits.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back