• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from Hill Head, UK (1 Viewer)

GlynT

United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,
My first post so nice to meet you all. My name's is Glyn and i'm about to find myself with much free time from next month so I'm dusting down my Birdwatching gear for an overhaul and buying clothing etc so I can comfortably get out there. I have a nature reserve on my doorstep so very lucky. I've always loved nature and especially fond of birds.
What brought me here was a search for some information about my binoculars and wow you have such detailed posts about them. I bought my Swift Audubons in my early twenties and have used them often only lately also buying some smaller Nikon Monarch M711 8 x 30s as grab and go binoculars and which I also love.
Having read some chats about Swift Audubons and much love for the brand I now feel very privileged to own a pair. I have always looked after them and now believe that I know where they came from and when made etc. Thank you.
I would have uploaded some photos for those fellow enthusiasts who enjoy owning them, however uploading photos doesn't seem to work from my phone for some reason. I can try later from a tablet to see if that works. Sorry!
I'm off to use them now, hoping to see the White Tailed Sea Eagle. Six have been released on The Isle of Wight not far from my home a a reintroduction project so fingers crossed. More likely I may see a kingfisher but they are my favourite birds so I won't be dissapointed. In fact any bird lifts the spirits so it's all good.
I'm rambling now so I'll sign off for now.
Hope to hear back from someone. All the best.

Hi Glyn and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

You really live in a great part of the world for birdwatching. Good luck with finding the magnificent eagles. I'd sure take Kingfishers instead though, as well LOL.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Thank you for such a quick and warm welcome.
I've also just found I can upload photos from my tablet so here's a few of my Swift Audobons for the enthusiasts of the brand. Must admit they're amazing for being around 39 years old as an 82xxxx serial number and working perfectly.
Glyn

Attachments

• IMG_20210124_1030510.jpg
    IMG_20210124_1030510.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20210124_1032158.jpg
    IMG_20210124_1032158.jpg
    799.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Welcome to Birdforum from another Hampshire Hog! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Hi Everyone,
My first post so nice to meet you all. My name's is Glyn and i'm about to find myself with much free time from next month so I'm dusting down my Birdwatching gear for an overhaul and buying clothing etc so I can comfortably get out there. I have a nature reserve on my doorstep so very lucky. I've always loved nature and especially fond of birds.
What brought me here was a search for some information about my binoculars and wow you have such detailed posts about them. I bought my Swift Audubons in my early twenties and have used them often only lately also buying some smaller Nikon Monarch M711 8 x 30s as grab and go binoculars and which I also love.
Having read some chats about Swift Audubons and much love for the brand I now feel very privileged to own a pair. I have always looked after them and now believe that I know where they came from and when made etc. Thank you.
I would have uploaded some photos for those fellow enthusiasts who enjoy owning them, however uploading photos doesn't seem to work from my phone for some reason. I can try later from a tablet to see if that works. Sorry!
I'm off to use them now, hoping to see the White Tailed Sea Eagle. Six have been released on The Isle of Wight not far from my home a a reintroduction project so fingers crossed. More likely I may see a kingfisher but they are my favourite birds so I won't be dissapointed. In fact any bird lifts the spirits so it's all good.
I'm rambling now so I'll sign off for now.
Hope to hear back from someone. All the best.
Hello, at Hill Head you're not far from Titchfield Haven Glyn, a lovely place to bird (when its open) We saw an Osprey and Marsh Harrier there in September but no WTE. I think they must fly straight over!

Hello, at Hill Head you're not far from Titchfield Haven Glyn, a lovely place to bird (when its open) We saw an Osprey and Marsh Harrier there in September but no WTE. I think they must fly straight over!
Hi Stephen,
Yes I've seen the Marsh Harrier a few times and it's always so impressive. I've never seen an Osprey and wasn't aware that they had been seen at The Haven. That's great news and you are so lucky to have spotted it. I'm sure one day the WTE will visit and that would be amazing. Today the usual waders were ever present and a solitary Tufted Duck being my most interesting spot. I was only able to visit briefly which was a shame. I must admit that one year up the canal path alongside The Haven on a Winter walk I was totally unprepared for a flock of 14 Goldcrests in a tree that was at eye level and spanning the canal as it had fallen over. I'd only ever seen these as solitary birds and only spotted a few over many years. Perhaps they had overwintered here. I would be happy to find out if that was the case.
Nice to meet you. All the best.

Hi Glyn

Osprey can be seen quite regulary at Titchfield Haven at migration times especially late August.
Thank you Deb. I only live ten minutes walk away and have put my name down as a volunteer there from March. Hopefully later this year that may happen if lockdown eases. I'll certainly have no excuses for not seeing one this Summer. Thank you so much for your guidance. Really appreciated.

Yes, we visited early in September, a wedding anniversary trip between lockdowns, and were delighted to see the osprey practising its fishing skills!
Hi Stephen. I visited The Haven yesterday and was delighted to see two Marsh Harriers at the far end of the reserve quarter low over the reed beds. One had lighter underparts with a dark band under each wing which I must try to explore further. Too distant to me out finer detail but both behaving similarly though one roosted in a tree more frequently.
A good visit.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back