• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from Newberg Oregon visiting Argentina (1 Viewer)

Rose sullivan

Argentina
Could someone please help me identify this type of hummingbird I took a picture of in Pilar Argentina. this is a very large dark bird compared to the hummingbirds we have in Newberg Oregon.

Attachments

• 59C1BD83-998C-401D-9367-4CD3F41DD54B.png
    59C1BD83-998C-401D-9367-4CD3F41DD54B.png
    10.5 MB · Views: 52
  • 141B4550-7B6E-41CA-A492-122D98C9FC68.jpeg
    141B4550-7B6E-41CA-A492-122D98C9FC68.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 50
Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

Hi Rose and a warm welcome from me too.

I've moved your post to the ID forum, as they're much better placed to help you. The only thing I could say, if it's a large hummingbird, would possibly be Giant Hummingbird, which is found in Argentina. But I'm probably wrong LOL.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Despite the not great photo quality, this is a Glittering-bellied Emerald, assuming you mean Pilar just NW of the city of Buenos Aires. If there is another Pilar somewhere further N in Argentina I'm not considering, other possibilities might come into play and I might need to take a closer look.

My partner and I lived in Buenos Aires for ~5 years and miss it terribly, we'll be moving back when we are able to.

Cheers,
Josh

Despite the not great photo quality, this is a Glittering-bellied Emerald, assuming you mean Pilar just NW of the city of Buenos Aires. If there is another Pilar somewhere further N in Argentina I'm not considering, other possibilities might come into play and I might need to take a closer look.

My partner and I lived in Buenos Aires for ~5 years and miss it terribly, we'll be moving back when we are able to.

Cheers,
Josh
Thank you Josh. Yes it is the Pilar that is right outside of Buenos Aires. I had taken a beautiful video of the bird but the forum would not load it. So these pictures are taken from the actual video so I apologize for the quality. Thank you so much for the information.

Just looking again on a larger screen, I'm not certain it's possible to say for certain that it's a Glittering-bellied Emerald and not a Gilded Hummingbird. In any case, those two, and White-throated Hummingbird, are your only options. You can probably look at some online ID info / photos for Glittering-bellied Emerald vs Gilded Hummingbird and then ID it from your video if your video shows a bit more detail / color.

It is difficul to say based on your photos if this is a Glittering-bellied Emerald or a Gilded Hummingbird. On the 1st photo it looks to me like a Gilded Hummingbird and on the 2nd photo it looks like a Glittering-bellied Emerald. :unsure:
On these 2 species (when their colours are not shining in the sun) it is important to look at the tails. With a dark blue (almost black) tail it would be a Glittering-bellied Emerald. With the tail same colour like the rest of the bird, then it is a Gilded Hummingbird.

Thank you Josh. Yes it is the Pilar that is right outside of Buenos Aires. I had taken a beautiful video of the bird but the forum would not load it. So these pictures are taken from the actual video so I apologize for the quality. Thank you so much for the information.
Maybe you can load the video into YouTube and put a link here?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back