• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from Spain (1 Viewer)

Tony15

I have just found this forum and wondered if it is a good place to post my latest sightings? I live in Guardamar del Segura which is on the Costa Blanca 20K South of Alicante. My apartment overlooks the Rio Segura which is one of the three rivers in Spain that flow all year round.
The mouth of the Segura is a bird sanctuary for about 1k from the sea to the N332 road bridge upstream. The river itself is fairly small because of all the water extraction that takes place upstream. The river is edged by flat floodplain about 200 metres across which is filled with the growth of Spanish Reed, a cross between grass and bamboo. This stuff grows to a height of about 4.5 metres and has to be cut down every year.
We have a resident population of Grey Herons, Little Egrets, Coots, Moorhens, Shags, Cormorants and various Gulls. The Segura is the first fresh water encountered by migrants flying from Africa so we see a great many migrants in early and late seasons.
I used to go bird spotting in UK but never into twitching, I never saw enough "brown jobs" to be able to identify them properly. (It was either a sparrow - or not a sparrow, if you know what I mean). Here there are so many birds around that I am slowly learning to identify them properly.
In the past week on the nearby rough ground I have identified a Red Backed Shrike, a Great Grey Shrike, Hoopoe, Spotless Starling, Crossbill, Cerin and Citril Finch, Reed Bunting, Nightingale, Black Redstart and several others. We get some interesting visitors passing through, in late Autumn we had a pair of Purple Gallinules that stayed about three weeks, on Sunday 13th December there was a male Arctic Goose on the bank in front of my apartment nearly all day. (I got several pics).
This area is renowned for the saline lakes with their Flamingoes and the extensive bird reserves, it is a bird watchers paradise.

Regards, Tony

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello ;)

I suggest you click on the "Forum" tab at the top of every page and that will bring you to a list of all sub-forums here at BF. Then pick the one that best suits your questions ;)

Hi Tony and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about. We have a number of members here who live in Spain - I'm sure you'll come across some of them soon.

Wednesday 16/12/15; Today's surprise; a small band of Crag Martins playing about outside my front door. I live on the 3rd floor of a four storey block with an open access balcony along the block giving access to the front doors'.
Regards, Tony.

Last edited:
Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Hi Tony, if you go to the Spain forum under the Europe and Rest of the World section you will find a thread on Birding in Alicante Province which covers your area, including areas such as El Hondo which is quite near you and a "must visit".

P.S. I don't think you'll have seen Citril Finch at Guardamar - they are up north in the Pyrenees! I have seen plenty of Greenfinches in the large park at Guardamar, maybe it was a youngster?

Citril Finch ?

Hello Mark.
Thanks for your reply. As I said in my Hello intro I am a beginner with "Brown Jobs" but in UK I got very familiar with Greenfinches and what I saw wasn't one. It was more brown on the back and chest rather than having a yellow cast. I had the opportunity to study the bird from about 10 metres (with bins) for a good few minutes before my pooch disturbed it.
I use "The birds of Britain and Europe" by Heinzel, Fitter and Parslow as my "Bible". I am stuck in one spot (more or less) because I don't drive. My view is overlooking the Rio Segura from the N332 bridge down to the last right bend in the river near the harbour. At the end of our block (100 metres) there is a large area of scrubland (15+ acres) which has a large mixed bird population. I usually exercise the dog there first thing in the morning as the sun is warming up and the birds are beginning their day and spend time on bushes and stalks warming up.
P.S. The male Arctic Goose was back today, I don't think that belongs here either, do you?

Regards, Tony.

The mouth of the Segura is a good site, although it is blighted by the accumulation of rubbish that people throw into the river. I saw my first ever Squacco there several years ago, with Woodchat in the trees on the opposite bank from where you are.

With regard to your mystery bird, you might also look up Siskin, I don't have HFP but the Collins guide shows a juvenile bird which might match your description. They are fairly regular here in winter.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back