• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello guys, worried home owner (2 Viewers)

coady

Australia
Hey guys
I have a pair of Murray Magpies (magpie larks) that have set up house for last few years on my clothes line under my carport.
Starting from this morning, they appear to be attacking the two babies at random. By random I mean, they'll fly off, call about, then come back and feed them, then next time come back and peck the living crap out of them?!?!
Is it another pair coming in on the sly and doing it while parents off collecting food? Or is it actually them doing it?! Why? Never seen M Maggies doing this, especially these two.

Hi Coady and a warm welcome to you from those of us on BirdFotum!

I've seen this activity with Grackles and I felt the parents were getting the kids to go out and follow them to get their own food but who knows.

Hi Coady and a warm welcome to you from those of us on BirdFotum!

I've seen this activity with Grackles and I felt the parents were getting the kids to go out and follow them to get their own food but who knows.
Oh I get that, but the two little dudes only just went from fluff balls to having tiny little feathers about two days ago.
I know actual Magpies get a little 'forceful' when getting their teens out of the house, but Never seen Murray Magpies do this at all, especially with babies that only hatched two weeks ago.

Oh and sorry. Cheers for the welcome mate 👍🤠. Forgot to mention in initial Hello post that I'm in Adelaide South Australia, which means I also got no idea what a Grackle is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back