• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello and Devestated: Sad post (2 Viewers)

katiebear

United States
Good Morning,
I live in Northern California and woke up to our house finch nest that is right by our large great room window, with momma house finch dead on the ground and baby wings torn apart on the ground. The mom was killed trying to save her babies from something that killed them last night and I can't stop crying. We watched drhem every day getting bigger with momma taking such good care of them. We have a Gazebo, and they made the nest at the top of one of the gazebo pillars, in a very protected area. Even though it is only aroubd 3 feet away from my large window, it was high enough up so I had to use binoculars to try to see activity. I'm heartbroken and can't stop crying over them. šŸ’” I don't know what did this and hope this doesn't happen again.
Katie

Hi Katie and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I'm so sorry to hear about the failure of this nest, I can't guess as to what has caused it, but maybe someone will be on soon from your part of the world with some ideas. It's so sad and hard to bear when it happens.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi, Katie. I am so sorry this happened to your finches. It is hard to deal with, and nature can be so cruel.

Welcome aboard Katie and I'm very sorry for your feelings about the finches. Nature can appear cruel at times.
I'm assuming a bird of prey or a large bird might have gotten a hold of them. Are there any wild cats roaming around your area? They call also create danger to nesting birds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back