• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Helm Guide to Bird Identification: A Quick review (1 Viewer)

I've just downloaded the Kindle version, generally excellent but there doesn't seem to be a Yellow / Citrine wagtail plate. Is this present in the paper edition?

Very pleased with it. One key omission IMO is American Herring Gull. I'd have thought it's regular enough and tricky enough to warrant inclusion.

Last edited:
Overall a bit disappointed with this. I guess I should have looked at the initial reviews a bit closer. I had assumed it would be properly re-worked but there are a large number of re-used plates from the old book. Generally prints on my copy are a lot darker than in the original. Hmmm.....

Overall a bit disappointed with this. I guess I should have looked at the initial reviews a bit closer. I had assumed it would be properly re-worked but there are a large number of re-used plates from the old book. Generally prints on my copy are a lot darker than in the original. Hmmm.....

Not just my copy then. Overall its pretty good but some of the plates should have been reworked. Wood and Green Sand for one.

Regards

John

When the original edition came out I found it very helpful indeed for UK birding. It was also relatively compact and lightweight, ideal for new and developing birdwatchers.
The new edition is already larger and heavier and if it included" the "Birders Guide to European and Middle Eastern Birds" would be even heavier and perhaps less appealing to new birders?
Am I right in thinking the original edition was reprinted as a soft back?
I guess modern field guides encourage the idea that that you should record your observations in the field and refer to the guide books back in the car or home.
Overall pleased to see the new addition.

Yes Robert you are correct, there was a paperback reprint.

I have attached a photo of all the editions in the series that I am aware of, including the European guide.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 228
Just got the kindle version for ~£12.
One thing to note is that you can zoom the text, but not the plates, unless I'm missing something. So excellent on a tablet, not much good on a smartphone

Just got the kindle version for ~£12.
One thing to note is that you can zoom the text, but not the plates, unless I'm missing something. So excellent on a tablet, not much good on a smartphone

I've just downloaded the trial version onto my iphone (old 4S) and the plates images can be zoomed. Just double click on the plate to bring up the 'image view' then pinch zoom as normal.

Also works on my ipad, but can't comment about other platforms (android, etc).

Overall seems like a pretty good buy. I have no idea why Collins couldn't bring out a kindle version of Svensson et al as quickly as this.

Cheers

Matt

I've just downloaded the trial version onto my iphone (old 4S) and the plates images can be zoomed. Just double click on the plate to bring up the 'image view' then pinch zoom as normal.

Also works on my ipad, but can't comment about other platforms (android, etc).

Overall seems like a pretty good buy. I have no idea why Collins couldn't bring out a kindle version of Svensson et al as quickly as this.

Cheers

Matt

Thanks Matt, yes "double-tapping" the image works. Not something you do very often on a touch screen lol.

Matt, is this a kindle version of the book or is it an app (given that you say trial version)?

Niels

Hi Niels
It's the kindle book version. On amazon you can download the intro sections plus the swans plate as a sample.

I've bought the full version and, although I haven't reviewed all of it, I'm impressed with what I have seen so far.

There are a few things worth mentioning:
(1) There is a slight reduction in image quality compared to the printed version (at least on my non-retina screen models) but it doesn't make any practical difference.
(2) When the plates are 'double tapped' they are still the same relative size as in the book so the 1/2 or 2/3 plates are also this size as images. I don't know whether it was pratical but it would have been nice to have these go to full screen images when tapped. However, you can zoom in and the quality is good.
(3) Navigation from the contents page is instantaneous but takes you to the start of the 'species group' accounts. This is how the contents works in the print version so I guess this is understandable. But, especially on a phone, it means you may have to swipe through pages of text before you get to the species account you want. In my view it would have been better to have put in a sub-menu either at the contents page, or 'jump to' menu at the start of the 'species group' accounts.
(4) There's the occasional typo caused by the conversion process, such as capitalisation after some apostrophes (eg Leach'S and Wilson'S Petrels).

Overall, highly recommended.

It would be great to a kindle version of the Collins guide and I would have thought that Duivendijk's Advanced ID Guide would be an easy conversion job (no plates). Ebook would be a better format for this than print. I even emailed Duivendijk's publishers suggesting this months ago (no reply).

I notice that Howell & Lewington's Rare Birds in N America is also out on kindle. The sample, unfortunately, doesn't include any of the species plates, but it's very tempting.

Matt

Last edited:
Thanks Matt
I notice that Howell & Lewington's Rare Birds in N America is also out on kindle. The sample, unfortunately, doesn't include any of the species plates, but it's very tempting.
I bought that one as hardcover ...

Niels

Hi Niels
It's the kindle book version. On amazon you can download the intro sections plus the swans plate as a sample.

I've bought the full version and, although I haven't reviewed all of it, I'm impressed with what I have seen so far.

There are a few things worth mentioning:
(1) There is a slight reduction in image quality compared to the printed version (at least on my non-retina screen models) but it doesn't make any practical difference.
(2) When the plates are 'double tapped' they are still the same relative size as in the book so the 1/2 or 2/3 plates are also this size as images. I don't know whether it was pratical but it would have been nice to have these go to full screen images when tapped. However, you can zoom in and the quality is good.
(3) Navigation from the contents page is instantaneous but takes you to the start of the 'species group' accounts. This is how the contents works in the print version so I guess this is understandable. But, especially on a phone, it means you may have to swipe through pages of text before you get to the species account you want. In my view it would have been better to have put in a sub-menu either at the contents page, or 'jump to' menu at the start of the 'species group' accounts.
(4) There's the occasional typo caused by the conversion process, such as capitalisation after some apostrophes (eg Leach'S and Wilson'S Petrels).

Overall, highly recommended.

It would be great to a kindle version of the Collins guide and I would have thought that Duivendijk's Advanced ID Guide would be an easy conversion job (no plates). Ebook would be a better format for this than print. I even emailed Duivendijk's publishers suggesting this months ago (no reply).

Matt

No reply from New Holland as they went bust im afraid,
Cheers
James

No reply from New Holland as they went bust im afraid,
Cheers
James

Ah, that might explain it ;) Just did a quick search and it looks like Bloomsbury bought up New Holland's natural history titles in Aug/Sep 2013 (presumably including Duivendijk). Helm is part of the Bloomsbury stable so hopefully all ebook sales of this ID guide will encourage them to release that and other titles in the same format. I'll try sending an encouraging email o:).
Cheers
Matt

ABA Birding

Betton 2015. Birds We Ought to Know Better [a review of The Helm Guide to Bird Identification, by Keith Vinicombe, Alan Harris, and Laurel Tucker]. Birding 47(1): 67. [aba blog]

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back