• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help Identifying Hawk, Southern NJ USA, today (1 Viewer)

blackrose

United States
This Hawk has been stopping by every morning, Looks a bit different from the regular Red-Tailed and Red-Shouldered Hawks I see here...

Didn't think it was too Juvenile to show adult plumage...any thoughts here?

On a side note...computer crashed and had to upgrade, new version of windows can't save a frame from video...
when it's no longer fun, I may be done...don't mind re-learnin everytime they want to upgrade, but I'm not loading a bunch of intrusive app just to do anything so simple on my computer... so I guess I'm also asking for thoughts on what software you people are using for editing your pics...

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
You seem to have deleted any photo/video/link that you posted - but, assuming it was this...
...and that it's within the last few days... it's an immature (I'd guess 1st-winter) red-shouldered hawk: wide dark tail-bars, blobby underparts - though I'm surprised that the upperside of the secondaries isn't more boldly barred.
Didn't think it was too Juvenile to show adult plumage...any thoughts here?
I don't know what you mean by that, I'm afraid.

I don't know what you mean by that, I'm afraid.
Thought it was a second winter bird, would have to go back, dig up, and look at photos from last winter...
You are probably right about not being fully mature, the adult red-shouldered hawks here really show a lot more actual red on the front of their shoulders.
🤷‍♂️

Thanks and sorry about the link, still trying to sort the new computer and editing, hosting, and sharing is taking more effort and time than it's worth at this point....the new windows "upgrades" are nothing but "downgrades"...

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back