• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help me choose binoculars for my son (1 Viewer)

larskim

Canada
I have a 6 years old son and I'd like to buy one for him.
I've narrowed down to two products.
1. Pentax Papilio ii 6.5x21 CAD130
2. Nikon Prostaff P7 8x30 CAD179 including a bonus of Binocular Harness II

For observing birds and animals at the zoo and backyard (squirrels, bunnies, etc), the Papilio II would be a great choice due to its stability in the hands and lightweight design. It also has the added feature of bug watching.

However, P7 may be a better long-term investment as my son's interests may change over time and the 8x30 magnification provides more versatility. The price difference between the two is only CAD49.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
The weight of Pentax Papilio ii 6.5x21 is 290g.
For Nikon Prostaff P7 8x30, 485 g. I think is too heavy for a child.

For the bugs observation, Pentax Papilio is better: minimum focusing distance of 0.5m
Be aware of this behaviour (question 2).

Larskim, the smallest interpupillary distance on the Pentax is 54mm, too wide for some children. Have you considered the Kowa YF II 6x30? People often recommend them for kids.
Just checked it out. Almost same price and weight as nikon p7. is the 6 of magnification must for 6 years old?

Kowa YF II 6x30 has the minimum distance of 5m.
And the weight is 470g.

I agree the interpupillary distance is critical.

what about NATURE DX 8X25 then?

Magnification:8x
Objective Lens Diameter:25mm (0.98")
Angular Field of View:7.2°
Linear Field of View:378 ft (126 m) @ 1,000 yds
Close Focus:6.5 ft (2 m)
Exit Pupil:3.1mm (0.12")
Eye Relief:14mm (0.55")
Interpupillary Distance (max):72mm (2.83")
Interpupillary Distance (min):56mm (2.20")
Optical Coatings:Fully Multi-Coated
Weight:12.1 oz (343 g)
Dimensions:111mm x 115mm x 42mm (4.3" x 4.5" x 1.6")
Included Items:Neck strap
Objective lens caps
Rainguard
Carrying case
Lens cloth
Instruction manual
Prism Glass (Type):BaK-4
Twilight Factor:14.14
Relative Brightness:9.61
Waterproof:Yes
Nitrogen Filled:Yes
Tripod Adaptable:Yes

Measure your sons eye spacing to see what’ll fit, but I let my 5yr old use my canon stabilised Binos fine once (with supervision), so I doubt you’ll have too much trouble.
I’d get the papillo, fine in the day and able to turn any outdoor space into a bug safari…. a unique capability.

Peter

You might consider Oberwerk 6.5x32 lightweight binoculars.
IPD goes down to 51mm. I used a set for years and was quite happy with the WA views.
Priced at $85 this side of the pond.

Hi,

the Papilio I gave to my godchild at 5 or 6 worked well... I didn't measure IPD before and was lucky... otoh it would have corrected itself in a year or two if it hadn't been...

Joachim

A 6 years old kid should have big eye pupils and small interpupillar distance. I would choose an 6x30 or 6,5x32 in porro prism to have at least an exit pupil of 5mm. Otherwise he would not enjoy the eye placement. Moreover, thanks to the large exit pupil and the low magnification, the depth of field would be very pleasant for him. In this regard, the Bresser 3x30 would be interesting on the paper : 110 grammes, big exit pupil. But I don't know anything on the optical quality. It looks like more a toy, but for 15 euros, it can worth it.

The Bresser 3x30 seems to be a Galilean, so no external exit pupil and small field.

At 3x or possibly 2.5x the field is still adequate.

I don't know if the optics are plastic or glass.

Regards,
B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back