• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help me out here… (1 Viewer)

Rufus1401

Wales
Hi All,
I’ve posted about this before, but thought I’d ask for a prod in the right direction again. I got £1500 quid for a scope. Choices are a used Swarovski AT80 HD for £1000, a used Leica Televid at £1400, a new Vortex Razor 85 HD any £1399 or a new Zeiss 18-45x65 fieldscope at £1250. I’ve read every review I can find, includthe reviews on this website and nobody has anything bad to say against the Zeiss. It seems to hold up against the big boys very well. I’m am thinking of going to order one next week, unless you guys give me advice to the contrary. Help ? Ta.

I'd have though Zeiss IS one of the "big boys"
I always recommend look through optics before buying, try to find a shop and look through your favourite, just to be sure

Hi All,
I’ve posted about this before, but thought I’d ask for a prod in the right direction again. I got £1500 quid for a scope. Choices are a used Swarovski AT80 HD for £1000, a used Leica Televid at £1400, a new Vortex Razor 85 HD any £1399 or a new Zeiss 18-45x65 fieldscope at £1250. I’ve read every review I can find, includthe reviews on this website and nobody has anything bad to say against the Zeiss. It seems to hold up against the big boys very well. I’m am thinking of going to order one next week, unless you guys give me advice to the contrary. Help ? Ta.
I'd add to the list the Nikon Monarch scope unless you have discounted it for some reason.

Hi All,

You got me thinking now….I don’t like thinking, it hurts 😂
A used AT80HD is no match for the Nikon IMO, and an ATS/ATM HD is only the equal. Had the chance to buy an 883, but I didnt personally feel the difference in image quality was worth the expense.

I'd agree about look for second hand optics bargains - but you should be able to find one with an eyepiece.
This one has two! The 30x and the older zoom. Also boxed and with a s.o.c.
A bargain for that money!

Last edited:
Many good advice already mentioned.

Personally, if given just 1500£/€ to spend (and so roughly ruling out any >85mm scopes), I would go for second hand Swarovski, Zeiss, Nikon or Leica, maybe with the exception of a new Nikon Monarch 82 which has been mainly praised here.

As already mentioned; testing the optics personally before you buy is essential. If you know how to do a star test (also essential in my opinion), you can't only see if the overall ergonomics and general optical qualities are suited for you, but also you can be sure that you will buy a good copy without major optical aberrations.

If you manage to find a good copy of any forementioned second hand scopes, it has not a lot to shame among newer and more expensive models as sample quality is an issue among them too. There are lots of old Swarovski, Zeiss, Leica and Nikon scopes used in the field and they work still very well.

Regards, Juhani

Update on my hunt for a spotting scope. I have tried the Zeiss Dialyt and Harpia and also a Zwarovski. Did the Harpia and Swarovski give a better image that the Dialyt ? Yes. Was the improvement in image worth the two grand extra ? Ummm…nope. Not on your nelly it isnt. The Dialyt does a stunning job. Got a couple of used to check out before I buy.

Update. After trying some scopes, the Zeiss Dialyt is on order. Got a good price - £1200.
This scope suited my needs very well, and with an original £2500 budget, I can treat myself to some new binoculars as well 😃I’ll do a review when it comes and I’ve taken it up the mountains.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back