• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help! Need advice on moving a dove nest due to construction. (6 Viewers)

KDJinCali

I have a dove that built her nest in my cactus. The cactus is growing into electrical lines and city has scheduled removal of the cactus. She has 3 babies and we don't want to lose them!! My first thought was to cut the entire branch so I would not have to touch the nest, but where she built the nest it is supported by 2 different branches making that idea impossible.

I have a hanging nest about 6 feet away in the shade of my shed. If I use gloves and scoop her nest into the hanging basket will she abandon her chicks?

Any advice would be so greatly appreciated.

Hi KDJ and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

From what I understand of the laws in the US, it is illegal to interfere with any active nest. Hopefully someone for your area will ring in soon with some more some ideas for you.

I have a dove that built her nest in my cactus. The cactus is growing into electrical lines and city has scheduled removal of the cactus. She has 3 babies and we don't want to lose them!! My first thought was to cut the entire branch so I would not have to touch the nest, but where she built the nest it is supported by 2 different branches making that idea impossible.

I have a hanging nest about 6 feet away in the shade of my shed. If I use gloves and scoop her nest into the hanging basket will she abandon her chicks?

Any advice would be so greatly appreciated.

Are you sure it's a dove? I ask because it's very unusual for doves & pigeons to lay more than 2 eggs per clutch. As for moving the nest, the chances are you'll be alright since birds seldom abandon healthy young. You really don't need gloves BTW since like most birds doves have a very poor sense of smell.

thank you!

I attached a pic of the same kind of bird in my hanging nest... I think it is a dove. This one has 4 chicks.
Thank you so much for the info!

Attachments

• 20140710_094558.jpg
    20140710_094558.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 129
moveing a dove nest

I attached a pic of the same kind of bird in my hanging nest... I think it is a dove. This one has 4 chicks.
Thank you so much for the info!
Hi there well I would first like to say
What a stunning looking dove that you have there in her hanging nest
Well liveing across the pond as we say on here often its nice to see
The variety of birds which are shown here from the usa but I,m hopeless
With Identification of them usually, but I do know 4 chicks by one
Dove would be a world record in any one brood 3 I have never heard of
we have wood pigeon, collarded dove, stock dove, and the rarer turtle
Dove in the uk which all lay 2 eggs in a clutch, but anyway cali I,m sure
The advice given here by fugl and delia should assist you if you are sure
That the young dove,s lives are in danger in the cactus tree its best you
Seek advice as soon as you can for the young birds welfare if you feel
That is the case Its always good to have a back up from someone who
Knows more in that field keep in touch and let us know how you are
Copeing with this.

I am unable to get close enough to get a pic of mom or dad in the cactus... they get scared when I get near enough. I did get a pic of the chicks. Is it common for both parents to raise the young? I thought it was one parent all this time, but today I saw a shift change! Both parents were in the nest together for less than 10 seconds, but one flew away and the other started feeding the kiddos!

Attachments

• 2014-07-10 15.12.49.jpg
    2014-07-10 15.12.49.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 80
I contacted The University. Dr estimated age to be 3+ weeks due to feathers and awareness. She said moving them would not cause undue stress. Because of the power line easement the city will enter your back yard even if you are not home and cut a tree. We are going to make the move tomorrow when it isn't 108 degrees... we want to cause as little stress as possible.

Thank you all so much!
Any further comments or advice are welcome.
Thanks again!
Cali

Mourning Dove parents work on a shift system with the male incubating/brooding in the late morning and afternoon, and the female, the rest of the time. Here's what BNA-online--an authoritative source on North American birds--has to say about clutch size:

"Clutch size is normally 2 eggs; reports of 3–4, which have been attributed to “dump nesting” by other females, are not uncommon. . .".

So it looks like more than one female is or was involved with both your nests. It will be interesting to see how it all works out. Be sure to keep us informed.

Beautiful looking bird, did not know this species of dove behaved this way, you learn something new everyday. Nice to know it's was a successful move from the cactus and definetly keep us informed of any further progress.

Damian.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back