• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help Needed- Mourning Dove (1 Viewer)

Karenp

United States
Hello,
I learned today that my very kind elderly neighbor (mid-eighties) has a mourning dove that has nested on his back porch.
Unfortunately, the male has stopped coming around to relieve the female. She has been on the eggs for 2 weeks & never leaves the nest. My neighbor said she is getting weaker & weaker and when I saw her she looked like she was extremely tired and having trouble holding her head up.
I am not sure how to help this sweet little bird. I don't think she is eating or drinking. Should I try hanging food & water up by her nest to help her gain some strength back?
Any help would be appreciated & thank you for your time!
Karenp

My instinct would be to just let things run their course. Trying to feed the bird on the nest will just spook it. Nature will do what nature will do.

Good News! Tonight the dove on the nest looked completely healthy. (Head was held up high & it wasn't all slumped down inside the nest.) I'm wondering if it's even the same bird! I sprinkled some food on my walkway & put some water out.
Unfortunately, my neighbor now has a stray cat sleeping on his front porch. It won't let anyone near it so I am unable to catch it. I will talk to the association about trapping it & taking it to a no-kill shelter tomorrow. (I'm thinking this is probably the reason that poor mama dove is a single parent!)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back