• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help required. Neighbour has shot Collared Dove in my garden. (6 Viewers)

no, that's paid for by the tax the police pay themselves ;)

I wonder if the 43 forms to fill out has anything to do with little or no action being taken against these gun-toting law-breakers? Almost like they didn't fancy the paperwork...

Oh i didnt see this one! The 43 forms is probably what some of your Tax goes towards. The forms are filled out and duplicated 4x depending on the crime, then sent to the Crown Prosecution Service for a decision. You might be surprised to find that the Police dont actually have the final say in what happens to criminals, the CPS do. The process of arresting someone for, say an Assault, including putting together a file for a CPS decision, can take sometimes up to 6-7 hours. All that time and paperwork keeps frontline police off the street and unable to respond to incidents. And no, we dont like the paperwork, but we have to do it. The police do all that work and the CPS make the decision to take No Further Action in many cases. Theres no wonder that officer then feels demoralised, is there.
Which is why when it comes to cases like the one this thread was started about, the police will deal with it on a local level. I agree, the Rifle could have been confiscated. But unless you were in the room with the officers dealing with the incident, then you dont know all the circumstances. IF a child had been shot with an air rifle then things would have most certainly been dealt with differently. But then thats IF. IF this, IF that etc. We could go on for ever with What ifs!! Nuff said.

As for the Collared dove, remakably it's still alive and living in a box in my garage. It appears to have a broken wing but is taking seed and water. Not sure what to do now. Any suggestions?

Repair the wing or neck it?

Yesterday, my neighbour shot a Collared Dove in my Cherry tree with an air rifle. Can anyone tell me please what laws have been broken?

I have contacted the police and they are due to visit me today.

The Collared Dove has a small wound in the centre of its back but, as I write, is stiill alive in a box in my garage. I tried to release it this morning but it seems unable to fly.

Thanks.

Steve
Hi - my mother (who has dementia and lives with me) has tamed 4 collared doves (and 2 squirrels), this wildlife in my garden is her life. Yesterday my **** of a neighbour lured the doves into his garden and shot them (along with the 2 squirrels, i know they are vermin but my mother had tamed them to a point where they would sit in our house with our 2 cats and us). I was reading the thread about the collared doves being shot in someone's garden but these doves were shot in my neighbours garden. I am trying to find out if a law has been broken, apart from the moral law of killing a creature that someone has tamed. This has really pissed me off and i swear i am on a mission to somehow or other get karma for this evil, vicious, vindictive act. Does anyone know the english law regarding a tamed wild bird/animal being killed by a ***** with no love of any wildlife, in a next door garden?

'tamed' makes no difference, you still don't own them (like you do a pet). So the bottom line is if your neighbour shot safely and with permission. Did they break a firearms law by shooting without an adequate backstop (you'll never prove otherwise). Did they have permission to shoot from the landowner(if they own the house then yes). There is a technicality in that they would have to prove that it was necessary to shoot them because they were causing damage, but this is virtually never enforced - you would have to have good evidence that they did in fact shoot them and hadn't tried alternatives. A copper will not be interested in it. No mileage for them. Your neighbour could counter your claim by saying that your mother was attracting vermin that was causing problems. You can't win this one. The best way would be to approach your neighbour politely, calmly, nicely and explain what it means to your mother to have these visitors. It may, just may, change their mind. But legally, you haven't got a leg to stand on really.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back