• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

help with hawk ID (1 Viewer)

RIR

help with hawk ID. Rhode Island, USA

Hi all. New here. I have this bugger visiting my yard lately. he caught himself lunch the other day. I'm guessing coopers or sharpie but I can't tell the difference between the two.

Attachments

• DSC00358b.JPG
    DSC00358b.JPG
    253.2 KB · Views: 143
  • DSC00395b.JPG
    DSC00395b.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Hello RIR,
On behalf of the staff, welcome to the Birdforum. You might want to try uploading your photo again and I'm sure someone will be along to help with the ID. Remember photos size limits (see FAQs) and then give it plenty of time to upload.

Thanks Dave. Yes after I posted I realized it didn't take my pictures because of their size. The pictures are a week apart but I'm assuming it's the same bird. This is in Rhode Island. I think he has a Starling. Kinda hard to tell though

RIR said:
Hi all. New here. I have this bugger visiting my yard lately. he caught himself lunch the other day. I'm guessing coopers or sharpie but I can't tell the difference between the two.
The hawk appears to be a Sharp-shinned. The tail feathers look pretty even in length, perhaps notched in the center. There are other features, but that is usually pretty definitive. Can't tell what he caught though.
CHEERS, JOE G

I agree that it's an adult Sharpie (3+ CY at this point). Tail's not long enough (relative to body) for a Coop, it's got a rounded head, and no pale nape.

Welcome, It's nice to have another New Englander here.

And I agree the bird is definitely a Sharp-shinned Hawk.

Thank you folks. Now sure how often I will be on here... but I will pop in from time to time.

Thanks again for your help everyone.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back