• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with Hummer ID (1 Viewer)

ejdeltoro

Hi there,

This little hummingbird (2-3 inches max) visits my Aunt's house in Mexico (Xalapa, Veracruz) every afternoon. It sits in the same branch and allows you to get as close as 4 feet before taking off. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• hummer2.jpg
    hummer2.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 204
Hi there

looks like an Archilochus sp. but i've not much field experience with them

poss Ruby-throated.

maybe someone with more experience of these will be able to help

The short bill, notched tail, and white spot behind the eye do resemble Ruby-throated, which is a common migrant in Veracruz, but the extensively dark cheeks and underparts and lack of prominent white tips on the outer tail feathers don't fit this ID. Juvenile plumages for tropical hummingbirds aren't very well covered in most of the field guides, but a juvenile White-bellied Emerald (Amazilia [Agyrtria] candida) seems to be the only Mexican species that fits what this photo shows.

Thanks!

Thanks Tim and Sheri!

I recall seeing some blue in the back of the hummingbird the few times sunlight hit the bird directly.

Thanks again

Sorry about that Edeltoro

the pic didn't download past the birds' belly for me so i didn't see the tail. As it is i have no reason to disagree with Sheri

You're lucky to be in Veracruz.... a beautiful place!

Tim

I think that white throat and upperchest contrasting with the dusky green sides plus those dusky undertail coverts edged whitish match more Azure-crowned Hummingbird than White-bellied Emerald. Xalapa is on the mountains, at 1.427m. Both species could occur there.

Motmot said:
I think that white throat and upperchest contrasting with the dusky green sides plus those dusky undertail coverts edged whitish match more Azure-crowned Hummingbird than White-bellied Emerald. Xalapa is on the mountains, at 1.427m. Both species could occur there.
It may be the angle, but the bill looks too short for Azure-crowned and about right for White-bellied Emerald. I haven't spent a lot of field time with either species, but museum specimens of juvenile Azure-crowned that I've examined are more extensively white below than this bird, with dark shading/mottling confined mainly to the sides and flanks but often extending in a narrow band across the breast.

Tz'unun said:
It may be the angle, but the bill looks too short for Azure-crowned and about right for White-bellied Emerald. I haven't spent a lot of field time with either species, but museum specimens of juvenile Azure-crowned that I've examined are more extensively white below than this bird, with dark shading/mottling confined mainly to the sides and flanks but often extending in a narrow band across the breast.

Check these pics, 1st Azure-c. 2nd Azure-c 3rdW-b Emerald

http://www.marn.gob.sv/patrimonio/ornitorfauna/Amazilia cyanocephala.jpg

http://www.martinreid.com/Misc website/Image files/azurecrown.jpg

http://www.mangoverde.com/birdsound/images/00000012907.jpg

Undertail coverts look better for Azure but I´m not sure if this feature is diagnostic to tell these species apart when young. Bill looks about fine compared with the Azure on 2nd pic.

I would also go with Azure-crowned Hummingbird. Although quite similar to White-bellied Emerald, the most obvious difference is that Azure-crowned has the dark sides to the breast and belly. From front on, they can almost look like they have a white stripe down the breast, which is something not usually evident in the side views given in field guides.

Tom

Attachments

• Azue-cro Humm La Montanona Jul 02 O. Komar.jpg
    Azue-cro Humm La Montanona Jul 02 O. Komar.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 113
  • Azue-cro Humm La Montanona Jul 02 O. Komar (2).jpg
    Azue-cro Humm La Montanona Jul 02 O. Komar (2).jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 117
  • Azue-cro Humm La Montanona Jul 02 O. Komar (4).jpg
    Azue-cro Humm La Montanona Jul 02 O. Komar (4).jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 105
  • Azure-c Hum Perkin Dec 03.JPG
    Azure-c Hum Perkin Dec 03.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Motmot said:
Tom´s last picture certainly looks similar to the subject.
Pretty close. Juvenile hummingbirds are always tough, but even more so the more closely they're related. The lack of space in the neotropical field guides for full coverage of plumage variation just compounds the confusion. I'll have to take a closer look at juvenile White-bellied Emeralds the next chance I get.

Those are pretty cool photos, Tom. You belong to that rare circle of birders who can coax the hummers to alight on your hands.

wings said:
Those are pretty cool photos, Tom. You belong to that rare circle of birders who can coax the hummers to alight on your hands.

In my region the ruby throats are so curious, all you have to do is wear a red ribbon for a very close encounter! :cool:

The birds were trapped in mist-nets as part of Salvanatura's bird monitoring project in El Salvador. Small rings (bands) with individual numbers are added to a bird's leg so that it can be identified if it is trapped again. This is a very useful way of monitoring survival and movements of birds and greatly increases our knowledge of bird ecology. However, the hummingbirds are so small and have such tiny legs that they are released without a ring.

Tom

tomjenner said:
The birds were trapped in mist-nets as part of Salvanatura's bird monitoring project in El Salvador. Small rings (bands) with individual numbers are added to a bird's leg so that it can be identified if it is trapped again. This is a very useful way of monitoring survival and movements of birds and greatly increases our knowledge of bird ecology. However, the hummingbirds are so small and have such tiny legs that they are released without a ring.

Tom

You might want to talk with Sheri and Curtis. There are bands (rings) that are used routinely on hummingbirds, even with their small legs! ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back