• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hi crazy Los Angeles Bird ID??? (1 Viewer)

Dani818

United States
Hello totally new to all this but I saw something that was kinda crazy. Still trying to properly identify this bird. Don't know what it was doing in the most populated part of L.A. but I'm sure it can hold its own and isn't scared of some little human.

So this HUGE bird was in downtown Los Angeles in the middle of the night. I witnessed this enormous thing swoop up a rat by the tail perch itself on a light post throw the rat in the air and swallow it whole. I thought it could be a night heron but it seems like it's too large to be that. This thing has a wing span longer then the telephone pole you see behind it. Here's the thing that haunts my dreams.Screenshot_20220220-185412~2.png
What is this?Screenshot_20220220-191637~2.png

Last edited:
Looks like a Great Blue Heron.

Hi there Dani and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

Awesome thanks. That bird looks like it has long legs. Might it be tucking them under itself in the pictures I took? I never saw it stand up or anything. It doesn't have a long neck either. Are there different kinds of great blue heron?

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group. Agree with Connorco it is a Black-crowned Night-Heron.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back