• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hide Etiquette (1 Viewer)

Mono

Hi!
Staff member
Supporter
Europe
Popped into a small but busy hide. Lots of ducks and waders at all sorts of ranges. There were only six windows, each occupied plus a couple of folk stood up behind looking through the gaps between people. So far, so normal. But two of the windows were occupied by photographers who were fast asleep. Using their bean-bags in the open windows as pillows they were spark out. One of the other birders said they had been like that for 20 minutes!

Everyone was far too polite to disturb them. One did rouse eventually and woke their mate. They still sat there bemoaning the fact that all the interesting birds were too far away.

We're a funny bunch aren't we! UK especially.
It's either : "too polite to consider waking them up, and didn't want any confrontation"
Or
"Sabotage their belongings, tie their shoe laces together, and make a large noise which will risk giving them heart failure"!

We don't ever seem to tread the middle ground!

Edit: and I'm not having a dig at anyone.. I'm probably the worst of both extremes!

Last edited:
We're a funny bunch aren't we! UK especially.
It's either : "too polite to consider waking them up, and didn't want any confrontation"
Or
"Sabotage their belongings, tie their shoe laces together, and make a large noise which will risk giving them heart failure"!

We don't ever seem to tread the middle ground!
In the middle ground is neither a feeling of virtue nor the chance of mischievous fun, that's why!

John

It's an unwritten rule of hides in UK that the prime position on the corner will be occupied on an apparently permanent basis by an uncommunicative photographer. Usually solitary and often appearing torpid, but I've never seen one actually asleep before, let alone two!

In czech we have the same word for etiquette and "label sticker on goods" (the lind that typically has some info) - I am not sure if that's the case in English? Anyhow, I saw this thread in the feed and mu first thought was that it's binoculars forum, where people are getting gradually concerned with tinier and tinier details of their gear and they have reached the point where they are bothered by some label, but won't damage their precious property by cutting it, so they ask how to hide it!

I had recently a similar negative experience in France, when four photographers blocked the hide window for a long time, and then continued to talk BS while still blocking view for other people.

To remind photographers on this forum - we know you completely forget the rest of the Universe when photographing, but don't block the view for others.

Sometimes these so called photographers can be a nuisance with these big lenses and clicking away making a noise.

It's an unwritten rule of hides in UK that the prime position on the corner will be occupied on an apparently permanent basis by an uncommunicative photographer.
The biggest corner hog I have ever seen was a birder who would always set their scope up in the corner but a couple of metres back. That way they could stand there and pan across covering well over a 180° arc. Anyone who dared to sit in any of the 8 or more places swept by scope would receive such disapprobation that no one ever did it twice.

Sometimes these so called photographers can be a nuisance with these big lenses and clicking away making a noise.
Most of them are birders with considerable skills and the noise of a shutter is generally less than that of birders and grockles yakking. Of course there is the odd exception which all of us deprecate, but people who can't close a door quietly or exercise volume control over their voice (and don't start me on the ones who know nothing but won't shut up talking rubbish) are a bigger problem in hides.

John

Hides are a pain either the doors and windows are poorly maintained which is why I avoid places with hides
Not sure if I’ve found the perfect hide all have faults

Hides are a pain either the doors and windows are poorly maintained which is why I avoid places with hides
Not sure if I’ve found the perfect hide all have faults

England is not famous for ergonomy. It would be interesting to make a manual how to isolate window edges so they don't slam, raise roof that inside is not stifling hot in summer and so on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back