• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hide Etiquette (1 Viewer)

Most of them are birders with considerable skills and the noise of a shutter is generally less than that of birders and grockles yakking. Of course there is the odd exception which all of us deprecate, but people who can't close a door quietly or exercise volume control over their voice (and don't start me on the ones who know nothing but won't shut up talking rubbish) are a bigger problem in hides.

John
John, how dare you suggest that maybe one or two of the halo-polishing ‘pure birders’ may be less worthy than one of their number, such as I, who have lapsed and committed the ultimate sin of having purchased a camera, henceforth to be forever known by the insult ‘togger’

PS regarding shutter noise; it’s a pain to the photographer too, that’s why my old camera body that I bought in 2014 had a setting for a quieter, but slower shutter and my two most recent bodies can function in perfect silence (at significant expense). It’s not in the photographers interest to scare his subjects with shutter noise, particularly as he needs them to be considerably closer than the scope carriers do.

PPS. I try to avoid hides if I can. Too many yappy people keeping the birds at maximum range. I much prefer to be mobile.

Last edited:
Most of them are birders with considerable skills and the noise of a shutter is generally less than that of birders and grockles yakking. Of course there is the odd exception which all of us deprecate, but people who can't close a door quietly or exercise volume control over their voice (and don't start me on the ones who know nothing but won't shut up talking rubbish) are a bigger problem in hides.

John
John,
Can I say on behalf of photographers , thank you ! The resentment shown by many non-photographing birders is unbelievable , there are bad apples ,but most of us are just the same as birders but want to create an image to look back at to relive the moment. I will not use this to deprecate the bad non photographing birders I have experienced as we all share the love of nature , our enemies are legion but they aren't in hides , they are in boardrooms, House of Parliament and "protecting" grouse moors !
Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back