• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

High Wycombe area (1 Viewer)

Allan Hobbs

Body in the UK, heart in South Africa
Hi,
my son has just started university in High Wycombe. Are there any good birding sites near there that I can go to when I visit him?
Thanks
Allan

Hi OBM,
thanks for the info.

Marlow sounds good for a start as it is on our way.
We live near Guildford so not a long journey, but if we visit the errant one for lunch, or when we are taking him to and from Uni, then it will be good to visit somewhere for an hour or two.

What could we reasonably expect to see?

Allan

I was brought up in High Wycombe and the answer then was no, there aren't.
Marlow GP, OK, but not wonderful.
But what you do get now is Red Kites, hundreds of 'em, just to the west.

Marlow GP, on the best days I have seen Kingfisher x 4, Hobby, Sparrowhawk, Green woodpecker, GS Woodpecker, Snipe, Little Ringed Plover, Lapwing, Terns, Tufted Duck, Egyptian Goose, Barnacle Goose, Shovellers, Water Rail, Long Tailed Tits, Shelduck, GC Grebe and chicks, and many many more.

For updates see the Bucks Bird Club Site,

http://www.bucksbirdclub.co.uk/menu.htm

and check latest sightings here

http://www.goingbirding.co.uk/bucks/birdnews.asp?date_search=8&date=2010-09-22&sort=7&status_id=8

On not so good days, Geese, Herons and Cormorants. Like any place dependent on thoughtless birds with no idea of their responsibility to provide a spectacle for us to view there may be nothing except a pleasant riverside or lakeside walk. I go at least once a week.

If you want to see Kites, lots of Kites, head to Stokenchurch up the M40 and pull off at J5. Dozens of Red Kite in that part of the sky all day every day.

Good luck.

obm

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to regularly go to the Wycombe area as a kid to visit my gran and I never used to see anything much! I once saw a Tree Pipit in a clearing in the beech woods and that was the best of it. It was sometimes good for butterflies in summer, with Marbled White and Chalkhill Blue locally.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back