• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Honey Buzzard ID Help, China (1 Viewer)

Not that I'm familiar with this species, but the certainly have a different facial expression than European Honey Buzzard. Much smaller, almost nonexistent thick, yellow gape, proportionately smaller bill, and the eye seem too dark, almost black, and, again, different in relative size to the rest of head.

The feet look smaller, and the whole bird more long necked and bulkier.
Just my impression of jizz, as plumage wise I think they match some juvenie EHB well enough.

Peter

Hi Peter, Thank you.
All juvenie EHB I havd seen all have very pale eyes, but this one have dark eyes. maybe I can consider hybrid?

Hi Peter, Thank you.
All juvenie EHB I havd seen all have very pale eyes, but this one have dark eyes. maybe I can consider hybrid?

As far as I know juvenile European Honey Buzzard invariably has between medium to dark brown iris (see attached photo), my point was merely that the bird discussed seemingly has even darker, almost black iris.

However, in both species, the gradual transition to paler adult iris colour, starts quite early (nov/dec) and is completed within a year.

Peter

www.netfugl.dk/pictures.php?id=showpicture&picture_id=43237

Yes, probably an advanced indivial, I have seen photos of juveniles from November with cold, medium brown eyes... As mentioned earlier they do actually change the colour quite rapidly, and my above comment should thus read 'oct/nov' instead of 'nov/dec'

IMO no need to consider the extreme unlikelyness of a hybrid, if one has ever been recorded with certainty.

Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back