• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Honey Buzzards (1 Viewer)

ROBL250

I read in a Bird-guide Ive got (Readers Digest, field guide to the birds of Britain) that only a few pairs of Honey Buzzards breed in S.England during summer.
I was wondering with all this hot weather we've been having, wether anyone knows if the numbers are on the rise, also does anyone know if theres any Honey Buzzards that's been spotted this year so far.

There are a few websites that will give you details of UK Honey Buzz (check out Roy Dennis's site: WWW.roydennis.org ) & there are some raptor watchpoints where they can be seen down south. Even get 8+ pairs up in God's chosen land in the average year. ;)

I was advised to go to the Great Ryburgh raptor watchpoint near Fakenham in Norfolk on my recent trip to Britain which is exactly what I did and had great views of a displaying male Honey Buzzard. You may have to wait a while before they show up but on a warm sunny day lying in a field with Hobbies overhead, it's a pleasant wait.

E

ROBL250 said:
I was wondering with all this hot weather we've been having, wether anyone knows if the numbers are on the rise, also does anyone know if theres any Honey Buzzards that's been spotted this year so far.

Recent surveys have suggested that Honey Buzzards are not as scarce as was thought, and maybe climate warming may le them build up their numbers.

This spring/summer has been about normal for them so far - a few migrants (50+ in May) and displaying birds at the well-known sites.

Steve

Last edited:
ROBL250 said:
I read in a Bird-guide Ive got (Readers Digest, field guide to the birds of Britain) that only a few pairs of Honey Buzzards breed in S.England during summer.

Here in western Sweden it seems like there are fewer Honey Buzzards this year... They have been declining for several years actually. The other day a slendid adult male passed over my house - intensely chased by a common gull. A beautiful sight for sure!

Nic

I would add to the praises of Great Ryburgh although the views can be somewhat distant (definitely scope work). I have also seen HBs at The Raptor Watchpoint near Exeter (Haldon ?? I can't remeber the name !!)

Steve Lister said:
Recent surveys have suggested that Honey Buzzards are not as scarce as was thought, and maybe climate warming may le them build up their numbers
More probably a very slow return closer to pre-raptor persecution numbers. They're not being favoured by global warming, with the best productivity in colder high altitude conifer forests in Wales, etc. The reason is thought to be because their main diet (wasps) are declining as a result of mild winters disrupting their hibernation - they emerge too early in spring, and don't manage to establish successful wasp nests. I would suspect that environmental pollution (insecticide drift, etc, etc) is probably also at least partly responsible for the decline in wasp numbers.

derby birder said:
The Raptor Watchpoint near Exeter (Haldon ?? I can't remeber the name !!)
Yep, Haldon is right, but the Honeys haven't been there any more for the last few years, thought to be victims of global warming

Michael

StevieEvans said:
Hi all

MF
Whats the status of Honey Buzzard in the North of England ?

Cumbria
North'd
Durham
North Yorks

SE
The "publicly known" Cumbrian pair have not nested in the last 2 years at their usual site, sadly.

Don't know of any sites in the 'public domain' in other 3 counties though.

ATB

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back