• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Honey Fungus? (1 Viewer)

James_Owen

Can I get a confirmation that this is the dreaded honey fungus (picture attached)? It has bloomed on a dead birch in my garden, so I guessing it's probably what killed the tree.
Only moved in this year so it won't be a happy discovery, especially with six other birch heaving with Goldfinch right in the firing line, plus a dozen various other trees from plumb to Major Oak sapplings.

Attachments

• fungipan.jpg
    fungipan.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 63
DON'T PANIC!

I think it is!, The gills will be pale buff if it is.

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=180

The good news is....you could always move to a new house! ;)

Almost every old garden and wood has it! It can be selective, just because it's there, does't mean it will attack every tree (but over time it could!).

I would suggest getting rid of the dead tree, and as much of the 'boot laces' as you can. if you can afford a good tree surgeon, do it (careful.........there's lots of cowboys with chain saws around!)

Last edited:
DON'T PANIC!

I think it is!, The gills will be pale buff if it is.

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=180

The good news is....you could always move to a new house! ;)

Almost every old garden and wood has it! It can be selective, just because it's there, does't mean it will attack every tree (but over time it could!).

I would suggest getting rid of the dead tree, and as much of the 'boot laces' as you can. if you can afford a good tree surgeon, do it (careful.........there's lots of cowboys with chain saws around!)

Well that's where I get a bit confused, the guy who lived here before was a tree surgeon and seems to have to left the garden that way - almost wondered how come he let the tree die.
Shall investigate for the bootlaces at the weekend, although I'm beginning to get a bit paranoid about the idea of disturbing the soil and spreading it all around.

Thanks for the ray of the hope though.

It looks very like it, but there are other similar species. Have a look under the dead bark for sheets of white mycelia.

The best thing you can do for your existing trees is to keep them healthy. Give them good drainage and avoid any form of root or bark damage. In this way you could keep the fungus out for years to come.

Mike

Hi DONT TRY and move it you will merely spread the Mycellium and spores around and course more problems. One Mycellium from a honey Fungus was traced for 200 yards then it disappeared under a main road. Honey Fungus is rated as being the largest living thing on Earth, one in Canada was found to be the size of eight football pitches.

So DONT dig at the roots you will only spread it further. It takes years to kill a tree so take heart, Oh and it isnt poisonous, but tastes really awful.

Good Luck PeterK

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back