• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

House or Juv Tree Sparrow, England (1 Viewer)

Rob Jones

90% of me says this is a house yet what struck me when I saw it was it's very distinct chocolate coloured head behind the eye. The grey forhead suggests a house but can be I believe seen on a juvenile Tree.
The black bib is very small that suggests a Tree also, maybe?:-O
Bright yellow bill is odd according to the books.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_4565.jpg
    IMG_4565.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_4566.jpg
    IMG_4566.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 65
Agreed it's a house sparrow, your pics do show the best way of separating them.
In tree sparrow there always a small dark smudge below and behind the eye within the white cheek patch, if that isn't there then it's a house sparrow. Even juv. tree sparrows show this feature.

Flocks of tree sparrows are easy..there are no "females", mixed ETS and house sparows at the feeder are harder.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back