• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica APO Televid 77 (2 Viewers)

Peter Leitzman

REPOSTED FROM BINOCULAR SECTION !

I have the opportunity to purchase a Leica APO-Televid 77 at a reasonable price c/w a 32x eyepiece.

Some quick questions:

1 How does it compare with the latest APO- Televid 82?

2 Is it still possible to have Leica service it, if needed?

3 How does it perform in terms of Chromatic Abberation and distortion?

4 Is the performance still up there with the competition?

Thanks very much in advance.

I've used one for many years (with 32 and 20x eye pieces). Can't really compare with other scopes but when seawatching with other for example, it's clear some more modern scopes are performing a good deal better, even allowing for differences in observer ability. It's been a very durable scope and survived some rough treatment from me over the years. Latest repair was a year or so ago to replace the objective lens, which I'd not protected and the coatings had become degraded (check yours has had a skylight filter). At the time Leica told me that stocks of these lenses were running low and I got the impression they wouldn't be getting more.

All that said, it's a very good scope with a great image. It is rather heavy for me these days but it still gets plenty of use.

I've used one for many years (with 32 and 20x eye pieces). Can't really compare with other scopes but when seawatching with other for example, it's clear some more modern scopes are performing a good deal better, even allowing for differences in observer ability. It's been a very durable scope and survived some rough treatment from me over the years. Latest repair was a year or so ago to replace the objective lens, which I'd not protected and the coatings had become degraded (check yours has had a skylight filter). At the time Leica told me that stocks of these lenses were running low and I got the impression they wouldn't be getting more.

All that said, it's a very good scope with a great image. It is rather heavy for me these days but it still gets plenty of use.
Aside from the weight (also an issue with age), my main problem was insufficient eye relief with the zoom ocular. I am forced to use my eyeglasses when using optics, so as my eyes deteriorated, the problem became worse. However, I recently had a chance to use the scope's smaller 62mm sibling, that uses the same oculars. And I was surprised how well I could manage with the fixed (non-zoom) ocular of 26x. Not the slightest problems and a most enjoyable view!

You need to bear in mind this is quite an old scope.
1. Noticably heavier; interchangeable eyepieces if available.
2. Yes, though short on some spare parts.
3. Many old threads on here regarding these parameters, search them.
4. Not as good as modern counterparts eg. Kowa 88 series, Swarovski 85 series etc or Zeiss equivalent.

Check the condition the objective coatings as mentioned. Otherwise, I agree it is a good telescope if functioning correctly and a reasonable cost.

Can't help on an APO 77 but a recently purchased APO 65 went back as it was nowhere near as good as my original APO 62 which it was intended to replace if that's anything to go by.

All I can add is I had for many years (until some scum broke into my car and stole it) and thought it was a great scope...always liked the lines it had. But....it is 25yrs old and it did show compared to newer glass
And as for Leica servicing.....🤣🤣🤣🤣 don't hold ur breath!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back