• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How old is this nestling Goldfinch (photo included) (1 Viewer)

Goldfinch100

United Kingdom
My young cat sadly found a goldfinch nest in a tree next to our house. It brought back two nestlings. One of which I couldn’t save but the other was lively didn’t seem too injured. I managed to locate the nest by following the cat and after locking the cat indoors, I climbed up using a ladder and carefully put the nestling back- as soon as he went back in the nest he buried down amongst the other nestlings.
Mum and dad goldfinch have still been coming to the nest. It’s been 3 days and I’ve managed to keep my cat inside as I don’t want her to get to the nest again. It’s very difficult though, as I have young children and have to monitor the doors constantly - the cat would get out in a flash unless you are on alert all the time. How old do you think this nestling was? (This is the one that didn’t make it)
I will keep the cat in until the nestling leave the nest but just wondering how many days I have to count down.
Thank you!

Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Several days yet if it survives. Fortunately the parents haven't deserted the nest. Why not give your cat a holiday such as a cattery or friend's house.

Hi Oriel and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I agree with Pat, it looks like it will be several days yet before he's ready to fledge.

Meanwhile you might be interested in reading our Cat FAQ, which has many ideas on how to protect your garden birds. https://www.birdforum.net/threads/cats-frequently-asked-questions.244841/ You do need to subscribe to the Ruffled Feathers forum to read it (click on your name in the bar above, then select Preferences from the drop down. Then scroll down to Opt-in Forums and put a tick in the box - it's free to join). When you're in look for the Cats subforum there or click on the direct link to the post that I've just given you.

If you need more help, please don't be afraid to ask.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you . (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

My fingers are crossed for this adorable fledgling.

Last edited:
Even after the birds fledge (in about a week) they will be easy prey for a determined cat for another few days. The goldfinches will likely try another 1 or even 2 times this year also. Best stock up on kitty litter!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back