• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to carry heavy binoculars in the field and on long hikes (1 Viewer)

jafritten

Heavy bins can be a pain on long hikes. I don't mind the neck strap so much when I'm wearing a big coat but I hate heavy bins around my neck in summer. I always carry a rucksack and I just don't fancy a harness under the rucksack. So, I cut a regular neck strap and fitted it with Peak Design anchor links (see photos). Works great. I don't feel the weight of my x42 at all and the anchor links are removed in a snap if necessary. Also, there are no fashious straps in my cabinet anymore. If you have a few bins with straps in your cabinet, you'll know what I mean. For normal use (with no rucksack, that is to say) I will fit a normal neck strap with those strap connectors, too.

I'm probably not the first one to come up with the idea...

What do you reckon to it? What are your solutions?

Cheers

Attachments

• KP001862.jpg
    KP001862.jpg
    680.3 KB · Views: 164
  • KP001864.jpg
    KP001864.jpg
    846.5 KB · Views: 157
  • KP001865.jpg
    KP001865.jpg
    945.3 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
I have a harness similar to yours. It’s the only one I’ve used for the last 7+ years

Hard to read in those poor pics; Bino-Pac is the name

Attachments

• 17A27D3D-3AFA-453A-91E0-B462FCCCAB5F.jpeg
    17A27D3D-3AFA-453A-91E0-B462FCCCAB5F.jpeg
    12.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 4D5FC745-74E9-4DFC-B1CF-09DC67496CCB.jpeg
    4D5FC745-74E9-4DFC-B1CF-09DC67496CCB.jpeg
    15.6 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
I wear a bino harness under my backpack and find it comfortable.
At times I thought about doing what you have done but I prefer to keep bins and pack separate because I often put my pack on the floor while stopped in one spot and want my bins to remain attached to me.
I can see the appeal of your system if one is on a long walk. Also the bins and pack counterbalance each other nicely.

I wear a bino harness under my backpack and find it comfortable.
That's interesting to hear. I thought a harness plus rucksack were bound to be uncomfortable. That's why I never considered the option. What harness do you use?
At times I thought about doing what you have done but I prefer to keep bins and pack separate because I often put my pack on the floor while stopped in one spot and want my bins to remain attached to me.
I agree. This is a bit inconvenient.

Also the bins and pack counterbalance each other nicely.
True. That's the advantage of this system. That is why you don't feel the weight of the binoculars.

There's also the Rick young harness which is very light and surely be unnoticeable under a backpack.

You have got me thinking and I wonder if there's a way to have bins on a harness and attachable to pack shoulder straps for all options available? Could be a bit messy with too many straps flapping around though.
Hmmm 🤔

On long walks I carry my binoculars (7x50 or 10x50) in a very rugged stable green canvas pouch on a diagonal leather strap. The box shaped pouch is a cheap surplus former Swiss military ammunition pouch and truly heavy duty and resisting to rain. Otherwise I use a backpack but then they are not so easy accessible. I don't watch things constantly but go to some spot to observe things from and then move to the next. Like a valley view or opening in the forest. It works for me for longer walks as well. My lighter weight 7x40 can be carried around the neck for longer times. This is the one I pick for more wet or rainy days.

Like this:

This was the place I spent yesterday's afternoon with my Zeiss 7x50 watching the dramatic sky. It's a tower of an old castle you can climb on. Next to the river Sieg valley not far from Bonn in Germany.
1628538061930.jpeg

Last edited:
For 42mm and above, been using a harness for many years and love them - night and day difference for ease of carry, especially while wearing a backpack. There are many different designs and brands - some are an open design, and others completely enclose the binocular. I’ve used both and can very quickly bring my binos on target from either one. Personally prefer the enclosed version as it better protects from the elements. Vortex makes a great, inexpensive open-design harness (there are many others). Unfortunately, the enclosed design is primarily designed for and sold to hunters (Kuiu, Badlands, Marsupial, etc) - but they are just a brilliant piece of kit. I usually carry it with the case top open for quick access.

2873B709-15B8-45BB-AF87-D0753CE19B64.jpeg

Last edited:
There's also the Rick young harness which is very light and surely be unnoticeable under a backpack.

You have got me thinking and I wonder if there's a way to have bins on a harness and attachable to pack shoulder straps for all options available? Could be a bit messy with too many straps flapping around though.
Hmmm 🤔

I prefer harnesses to straps generally. For heavy bins my favorite is the unfortunately discontinued S4 Gear Lock Down X. I prefer using that harness under my pack for the same reason you mention, I can take off the pack without taking off the bins. I also have a backpack with detachable straps like Jafritten's slick DIY rig shown in his OP. It's nice to have the option, the straps are removable, but in use I find the harness is much more convenient.

When taking heavy bins on a challenging hike, I like to carry in the Swaro pre FP clamshell bag with the integral belt, but not run through the belt loops on pants. This allows the weight to be carried lower and shifted around your waist 360 degrees to help with weight distribution when climbing, descending, traversing, et. cet. The dual zipper and semi rigid bag allows reasonably secure carry with the zippers partly opened enough to quickly grab the bin, although this works better with a hand strap. The clamshell design also gives some protection to the ocular lenses so depending on conditions you might get away without having to use a rainguard making deployment quicker. But when doing it this way, I usually carry an 8x20/25 on a Rick Young harness for quick looks.

Mike

Doesn't that cut in the skin? Could almost make it yourself with some broad wire. Once saw someone who wore his bins like that, with the cords around the shoulders instead of back (anything on my back while moving makes my back sweat, even mesh panels on a backpack don't help)

Thank you all for your valuable contributions. What I have learnt is that a harness under a backpack does not seem to be as uncomfy as I thought it would. So, a harness seems to be a viable alternative to my "invention". I wonder if those Peak Design connectors could be used with a harness?

I also like AlphaFan's bag solution.

Doesn't that cut in the skin? Could almost make it yourself with some broad wire. Once saw someone who wore his bins like that, with the cords around the shoulders instead of back (anything on my back while moving makes my back sweat, even mesh panels on a backpack don't help)
I use a RYO Ultra-light harness either over a t-shirt or 'bare-back' when on the beach and it has never cut in (although I use an 8x32).

Chris

I have a bino harness but truth be told I don’t much like that, either. I just have opted to carry the maven monocular in my cargo shorts pocket for most of my hikes. And an iPhone for photos. I just don’t like lugging stuff around much. Although maybe it would be better for me to drop 20 pounds and then the extra pound or two from a quality optic would bug me less! Also, I have found that trekking poles are really a huge asset on the ups and downs, and wish I had started using those 20 years ago. Helps to spread the weight out on all fours instead of just the legs.

There's also the Rick young harness which is very light and surely be unnoticeable under a backpack
I'm not sure what I said there is right.
I've never used a RYUH but I just watched the promotional video as I was thinking of getting one.
It looks to me like the adjustment toggle on the back will be uncomfortable with a pack over it. Like having s pebble between you and your pack.

Nothing to do with comfort but I'm not convinced by the attachment points for the bins either. Look a bit small and weedy to me.

I use a RY Ultra Harness with my 8x42 bins. The cords are made of a slightly elastic mterial not wire and do not cut into me at all. The toggle thing sits at the bottom of the neck not the back. I am sure a similar arrangement of cords could be made DIY but the RY version has quick-release fasterners to connect at the binocular end. Quite frankly, although the £30 or so for the real thing is dearer than the cost of materials to DIY, the saving in faffing around trying different ideas to nearly get it right is worth it to me.

1629390717609.png
This image amongst others put me off.
If the toggle was high enough not to be under my pack then it seems to me it won't be very different to having a neck strap in. The weight will be almost on my neck.
I think it's not for me. I will stick with my Optech webbing one. I don't notice any weight from it when theres no bins attached.
I do long the ultralights design though and I don't believe the thinner cords dig in.
Be alright to wear with a waist pack which I often use.

I'm surprised some of the he-men who respond to those who favour lighter binos with variations on the theme of "man up" haven't weighed in yet. Or maybe a x56 around their necks bothers them as little as a x32 does for us mere mortals...

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back