• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to carry heavy binoculars in the field and on long hikes (1 Viewer)

View attachment 1401368
This image amongst others put me off.
If the toggle was high enough not to be under my pack then it seems to me it won't be very different to having a neck strap in. The weight will be almost on my neck.
I think it's not for me. I will stick with my Optech webbing one. I don't notice any weight from it when theres no bins attached.
I do long the ultralights design though and I don't believe the thinner cords dig in.
Be alright to wear with a waist pack which I often use.

I can understand why that image caused concern.

For others reading with interest, the way I wear/adjust my RY the toggle rests at the base of my neck, out of the way of the pack as described by dog breath post 18. Also positioned there the toggle is easier to reach for quick adjustments on the fly.

Mike

Thanks for that idea! I hiked a few miles with this setup and I liked it. The orange loops on the shoulder straps may break eventually but I’ll figure something out. The wide neck strap dangling on my chest was not an issue at all…. for now…

Attachments

• 46B880F9-6200-46BE-85F5-76D2FD5A512D.jpeg
    46B880F9-6200-46BE-85F5-76D2FD5A512D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 67
Thanks for that idea! I hiked a few miles with this setup and I liked it. The orange loops on the shoulder straps may break eventually but I’ll figure something out. The wide neck strap dangling on my chest was not an issue at all…. for now…
I am happy to hear that, George. For me it works better than a harness which I also tried recently. When it's warm and I am just wearing a shirt I wear a hip pouch to carry things that I may want to access quickly and I would otherwise carry in the rucksack. Most time of the year I wear a light anorak with a marsupial pouch. So, this is how I worked around the problem of not being able to access things in the rucksack quickly. I'd be interested in what you figure out in case the orange loops break because I have one rucksack with no loops at all. I thought I might just ask someone to just sew some loops on.

Found a more secure spot to latch the S-biners. Hiked 8 miles on Sunday, very comfortable. I really like this setup now.

Attachments

• EE39D2DF-22D8-4F6D-8E3E-08563AA23921.jpeg
    EE39D2DF-22D8-4F6D-8E3E-08563AA23921.jpeg
    398.3 KB · Views: 57
Thanks Bockos for the helpful (and beautiful!) pictures. Now I understand why the new SW NL case is designed to hold the bins in the horizontal position. Looks like a good option for carrying heavier bins either on hikes or in an urban setting.

Mike

Found a more secure spot to latch the S-biners. Hiked 8 miles on Sunday, very comfortable. I really like this setup now.
That looks pretty good. does that setup give you enough slack to be able to freely raise the binoculars to your eyes and pan around?

also the nylon bit that is attached directly to the binocular and has a leather tab at the other end - did you buy those or did they come with the binocular Pls?

thanks

That looks pretty good. does that setup give you enough slack to be able to freely raise the binoculars to your eyes and pan around?

also the nylon bit that is attached directly to the binocular and has a leather tab at the other end - did you buy those or did they come with the binocular Pls?

thanks
Hi, that setup gives me just enough slack to be able to point the bins up to zenith and pan my head about 45 degrees in either direction.

I found those nylon and leather bits on Amazon. I replaced the plastic quick connect bits with rings.

Attachments

• AEF24830-8FC7-45CE-B0B8-F3A9150225D1.jpeg
    AEF24830-8FC7-45CE-B0B8-F3A9150225D1.jpeg
    494.4 KB · Views: 23
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back