• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to describe a new species in zoology (1 Viewer)

Peter Kovalik

Slovakia
Braby, Michael F., Y.-F. Hsu, and G. Lamas (2024) How to describe a new species in zoology and avoid mistakes. Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society: zlae043, published online 3 May 2024.
How to describe a new species in zoology and avoid mistakes

Abstract
Taxonomy is the science of discovering, naming, describing, diagnosing, identifying, and classifying different kinds of taxa, from species to families. It lays the foundation for all of the biological sciences. The rapid increase in both taxonomic descriptions and malpractice in recent decades indicates a need for consistency in the procedure and quality of taxonomic research publications dealing with recognition of new taxa, name changes, and nomenclatural acts. Indeed, there are numerous examples in the recent literature of taxonomic works that fall short of the basic procedures and minimum standards required for naming new species according to the mandatory provisions and recommendations of the International Code of Zoological Nomenclature, accepted standards of taxonomic best practice, and journal editorial policy. Here, we provide practical guidelines of the procedure and key elements required to name, describe, and publish a new animal species or revise the taxonomic status of a species. We then discuss some of the common pitfalls that should be avoided. Mistakes commonly made include failure to read the Code, to review the primary taxonomic literature, to examine type material, to construct the taxon name correctly, to explicitly establish the new taxon, to provide adequate typification, to clearly differentiate the new taxon, to register the publication of the new taxon name in ZooBank, or to publish the name of the new taxon in a manner that is compliant with the Code. We provide some examples of these mistakes, mainly from butterflies (Insecta: Lepidoptera: Papilionoidea) and, to some extent, reptiles because these taxon groups seem to have an unusually high level of poor taxonomic practice.

Braby, Michael F., Y.-F. Hsu, and G. Lamas (2024) How to describe a new species in zoology and avoid mistakes. Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society: zlae043, published online 3 May 2024.
How to describe a new species in zoology and avoid mistakes

Abstract
Taxonomy is the science of discovering, naming, describing, diagnosing, identifying, and classifying different kinds of taxa, from species to families. It lays the foundation for all of the biological sciences. The rapid increase in both taxonomic descriptions and malpractice in recent decades indicates a need for consistency in the procedure and quality of taxonomic research publications dealing with recognition of new taxa, name changes, and nomenclatural acts. Indeed, there are numerous examples in the recent literature of taxonomic works that fall short of the basic procedures and minimum standards required for naming new species according to the mandatory provisions and recommendations of the International Code of Zoological Nomenclature, accepted standards of taxonomic best practice, and journal editorial policy. Here, we provide practical guidelines of the procedure and key elements required to name, describe, and publish a new animal species or revise the taxonomic status of a species. We then discuss some of the common pitfalls that should be avoided. Mistakes commonly made include failure to read the Code, to review the primary taxonomic literature, to examine type material, to construct the taxon name correctly, to explicitly establish the new taxon, to provide adequate typification, to clearly differentiate the new taxon, to register the publication of the new taxon name in ZooBank, or to publish the name of the new taxon in a manner that is compliant with the Code. We provide some examples of these mistakes, mainly from butterflies (Insecta: Lepidoptera: Papilionoidea) and, to some extent, reptiles because these taxon groups seem to have an unusually high level of poor taxonomic practice.
I asked myself the following : could a new taxon, like a genus, be described in Latin?

In answer to your question; in Zoology new taxa are allowed to be described in a range of languages, including Latin, whereas in Botany every new species must have a diagnosis in Latin (this may also apply to other ranks, can’t say I’ve ever read the Botanical code!)

In answer to your question; in Zoology new taxa are allowed to be described in a range of languages, including Latin, whereas in Botany every new species must have a diagnosis in Latin (this may also apply to other ranks, can’t say I’ve ever read the Botanical code!)
Today, diagnosis are mainly written in the language of the authors. I have never seen a diagnosis in Latin in recent literature.

whereas in Botany every new species must have a diagnosis in Latin (this may also apply to other ranks, can’t say I’ve ever read the Botanical code!)

This has been the case for a very long time, but was changed in 2011 -- for new taxa published on or after 1 Jan 2012, the diagnosis can be either in Latin, or in English. (But not in any other language.)

The ICZN says nothing about language. About the only thing it says is that, for names introduced after 1930, a description or definition "in words" must be provided.

There are a few hints. For instance, there is this Recommendation in the 1999 code (i.e., 4th edition):

"Recommendation 13B. Language. Authors should publish diagnoses of new taxa in languages widely used internationally in zoology. The diagnoses should also be given in languages used in the regions relevant to the taxa diagnosed."

"Recommendation 13B. Language. Authors should publish diagnoses of new taxa in languages widely used internationally in zoology. The diagnoses should also be given in languages used in the regions relevant to the taxa diagnosed."

Yes, true, the formulation of my answer was poor -- the ICZN doesn't "say nothing" about languages. It's only a recommendation, however, and

"89.2. [...] Recommendations, examples, and all titles and appendices do not form part of the legislative text of the Code."

...thus, at the end of the day, you can use the language you want. I can definitely remember having read diagnoses of bird taxa in Latin, French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, English, German, Dutch, Danish, Swedish, Hungarian, Polish, Russian, Japanese, and Chinese.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back