• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to Digiscope with a Televid 77 Straight scope (1 Viewer)

cymruboy

Anybody offer advice on what to do as I have read so many different reports on cameras and adapters. Leica make a Digital adapeter 2 which supposedly takes most dig cameras.. What cameras work best ... I have read about Nikon 990/995 ? or the Canon A95.. There's very little advice out there on this ? dan

Your response

I don't seam to be getting any advice from anyone on how to digiscope with a Televid 77 successfully so tried posting in several forums.. You'd think this would be something I could be told about given the popularity of the scope. Very disappointing

mw_aurora said:
Think I have read this question from you before somewhere...

cymruboy said:
I don't seam to be getting any advice from anyone on how to digiscope with a Televid 77 successfully so tried posting in several forums.. You'd think this would be something I could be told about given the popularity of the scope. Very disappointing
This is my setup with a straight Leica apo77/Nikon 4500
Hope it helps, PM me if you need any more info.

Attachments

• Picture 101.jpg
    Picture 101.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 159
  • Picture 100.jpg
    Picture 100.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
re Your set Up

Many thanks Bob. a couple of questions. what eye piece do you use the 20X 60 or 32 wide angle? I have a 20 X 60. Also how did you attach the camera ? I was thinking of getting the Leica digital Adapter 2 which they say fits most digital cameras. Also looks like you have a shutter release cable attached which is great. Dan

bobwoodcock said:
This is my setup with a straight Leica apo77/Nikon 4500
Hope it helps, PM me if you need any more info.

cymruboy said:
I don't seam to be getting any advice from anyone on how to digiscope with a Televid 77 successfully so tried posting in several forums.. You'd think this would be something I could be told about given the popularity of the scope.
Dan,

Don't worry, you don't need much advice - you would probably do very well just instinctively ;). You have probably the best scope for digiscoping (optically). Especially with the 20x and 32x wide eyepieces you can practically choose from *any* adapters and compact digital cameras that have less than 4x optical zooms. All the Canon Ixus (SD..) models work very well, the 3x A-series is good, the Fuji F30 is great, several Sony models are fine, Panasonic FX01, Leica C-Lux1 work well etc. All of them have their pros and cons (extensively discussed in "Digiscoping cameras" -section) - unfortunately none of them are perfect, but most are much better than the Nikon CP4500 which has been used very successfully for several years.

Have you seen Andy's digiscoping pages http://www.digiscoped.com/ ? Lots of useful information there.

Best regards,

Ilkka

re Nikon 4500

Thanks Ilkka. I see the Nikon 4500 is available for $400 online but not sure if I should get one of these others you mention instead ?. Which of the Canon models do you think is best ? I'd prefer to stick with Canon or Nikon as I am Mac based and they have USB connections for that. Dan

iporali said:
Dan,

Don't worry, you don't need much advice - you would probably do very well just instinctively ;). You have probably the best scope for digiscoping (optically). Especially with the 20x and 32x wide eyepieces you can practically choose from *any* adapters and compact digital cameras that have less than 4x optical zooms. All the Canon Ixus (SD..) models work very well, the 3x A-series is good, the Fuji F30 is great, several Sony models are fine, Panasonic FX01, Leica C-Lux1 work well etc. All of them have their pros and cons (extensively discussed in "Digiscoping cameras" -section) - unfortunately none of them are perfect, but most are much better than the Nikon CP4500 which has been used very successfully for several years.

Have you seen Andy's digiscoping pages http://www.digiscoped.com/ ? Lots of useful information there.

Best regards,

Ilkka

cymruboy said:
I also here great things about the Fuji F30. Have you any experience with that ? Dan
There are several threads here on BF on using this camera (not with a Leica - but it will work well, for sure). It's a great little camera that is unique in allowing high ASA speeds thus giving a wide range of shooting options even in dull light. It is also super quick to switch on, focus and shoot.

An excellent new swing type adapter is available from SRB-Griturn in the UK. Again a search will reveal much on this (also via Google). I received mine just before Christmas to use with my Zeiss 85 but I haven't yet had the chance to use it properly.

Thanks. I had a feeling the F30 wouldn't fit the Leica. I am leaning to using a Nikon 4500 ( still available in certain places) with a Scopetronix L Photo adapter right now... I have read great reviews about that camera and the older 990/995's. Dan

cymruboy said:
Thanks Ilkka. I see the Nikon 4500 is available for $400 online but not sure if I should get one of these others you mention instead ?. Which of the Canon models do you think is best ? I'd prefer to stick with Canon or Nikon as I am Mac based and they have USB connections for that. Dan
I have a Nikon CP4500 and I still like it very much but not for digiscoping. It has great image quality, it is well made and many settings can be controlled manually (unlike in many "modern" P&S cameras). Unfortunately its shutter delay is way too long for any action photography, its display is too small and low-res, its battery life is too short and - at least in my sample - its autofocus is not completely reliable. My newer Panasonic FX01 works much better in every important issues.

I am also a Mac user and I have never had any problems with any digital cameras that I have used - they all have USBs today and work just as well with Macs. But yes, Canon and Nikon are very good with Macs and PCs ;). Today, however, I would probably recommend the Fuji F30. But if you rather would like to have a Canon, I would suggest the Ixus/Elph line (eg. SD800 IS). There is no "best" camera any more.

Ilkka

Funny you should a few draw backs as I read some reviews about the Nikon 4500 and I can do a little better. The reviews on the Panasonic FX01 are excellent in many sites.. What adapter do you use to attach it to your Leica Scope ? I wonder if the Leica Adapter 2 would accept it ? Dan

Final Camera Shortlist decision ?

I just lost the last Nikon 4500 on amazon but maybe thats a good thing. here's my final line up of cameras with prices. Any votes for which might be best for my televid ?

Can still get a Nikon 990/995 via amazon ?
Nikon 8400 ( But its expensive $600+ maybe worth it ! )
Nikon P4 but can't find the adapter for a Leica Televid 77 $339
Sony W7 $450 ?
Panasonic FX1 $219 can't find adapter for Leica Televid 77

iporali said:
I have a Nikon CP4500 and I still like it very much but not for digiscoping. It has great image quality, it is well made and many settings can be controlled manually (unlike in many "modern" P&S cameras). Unfortunately its shutter delay is way too long for any action photography, its display is too small and low-res, its battery life is too short and - at least in my sample - its autofocus is not completely reliable. My newer Panasonic FX01 works much better in every important issues.

I am also a Mac user and I have never had any problems with any digital cameras that I have used - they all have USBs today and work just as well with Macs. But yes, Canon and Nikon are very good with Macs and PCs ;). Today, however, I would probably recommend the Fuji F30. But if you rather would like to have a Canon, I would suggest the Ixus/Elph line (eg. SD800 IS). There is no "best" camera any more.

Ilkka

cymruboy said:
I just lost the last Nikon 4500 on amazon but maybe thats a good thing. here's my final line up of cameras with prices. Any votes for which might be best for my televid ?

Can still get a Nikon 990/995 via amazon ?
Nikon 8400 ( But its expensive $600+ maybe worth it ! )
Nikon P4 but can't find the adapter for a Leica Televid 77 $339
Sony W7 $450 ?
Panasonic FX1 $219 can't find adapter for Leica Televid 77

I'd say that missing the 4500 is a good thing - I used to use one and although the image quality was evry good, the shutter lag was infuriating, and as mentioned the smal;l screen didn't make focusing easy.

Any of the bottom three cameras on your list will work fine with your Leica scope (I have tested all three with a Leica scope). The Panasonic and Nikon (and I think the Sony) would work with the new Leica adapter, however at £130+ it's not a cheap option. I'd recommend looking at a cheap universal adapter like the Baader (~£30), they're not the most stylish, but do the job very well and will offer a cheaper introcuction to digiscoping. They are truely universal and will work with any camera that has a tripod mount.

I also think the Fuji F30 is worth a look, it's a good digiscoping camera, I can see no reason why you'd have problems using it with the Leica.

postcardcv said:
I also think the Fuji F30 is worth a look, it's a good digiscoping camera, I can see no reason why you'd have problems using it with the Leica.
Used with a swing-type adapter (such as the SRB-Griturn) it would make a wonderful pairing, I'd have thought.

cymruboy said:
The reviews on the Panasonic FX01 are excellent in many sites.. What adapter do you use to attach it to your Leica Scope ? I wonder if the Leica Adapter 2 would accept it ? Dan
Dan,

I think this subject should have rather been somewhere in "Andy Bright's Digiscoping Forum". My lengthy answer does not tell much about photograpy technique, but here is it anyway.

The Pana FX01 is practically the same camera as the Leica C-Lux1, which works perfectly with the Leica adapter. I am also quite confident that all Canon Ixus models and the Fuji F30 should work with it - as should many other compact cameras. I have a Swaro scope, a 20x wide-angle eyepiece and a Baader/Scopetronics platform adapter - it works, but there are much better adapters available (eg. Leica's, Zeiss's & SRB Griturn's in the UK). My FX01 produces nice prints and is OK for me, but I would advice everyone - before purchasing - to check that they can live with its heavy processing and noise that can be easily seen if you are into pixel-peeping ;).

From your listed camera models I would think that the Nikon 8400 probably has the best image quality. It also has a fast electronic viewfinder, which seems to work even in flight photography. Its drawbacks are slightly short tele end, large size and a requirement of good eye-relief (but the Leica eyepieces should provide you with that).

Nikon 990/995 - Oh for god's sake, NO!

Nikon P4 - Why not. Some have commented that its pics tend to be "soft" in spite of high pixel resolution.

Sony W7 - OK, as are the W40...W100, N1, N2...

Canon SD800IS - this is what I would seriously consider today... never tested myself though.

Fuji F30 - Sharp optics, great sensor, good display, superior low-light performance and battery life. Some ergonomical quirks and noticeable image processing, but the important basics are handled very well. There is a reason why many professionals use this as their pocket camera.

There you go, you can digiscope with any of these with your Leica. Just think about *your* needs, pick a camera and see how it works - if you are not happy, you probably know a lot more about what you would have wanted.

Best of luck, :t:

Ilkka

re Camera Choices

Thanks Ilkka. You might laugh at this but despite all these choices I am going to opt for the Leica Adapter 2 and then buy the new Leica D Lux 3 to go with it. They have made some big improvements on the D Lux 2 and I have read some great reviews on the camera. I'll then have an all Leica set up. A little pricey but I feel its worth it.. Only problem is finding one after christmas as they are on back order everywhere. Once I get out and about I'll send a few pics. Thanks for all your help. It sure is a minefield trying to work out what set ups work. Dan

iporali said:
Dan,

I think this subject should have rather been somewhere in "Andy Bright's Digiscoping Forum". My lengthy answer does not tell much about photograpy technique, but here is it anyway.

The Pana FX01 is practically the same camera as the Leica C-Lux1, which works perfectly with the Leica adapter. I am also quite confident that all Canon Ixus models and the Fuji F30 should work with it - as should many other compact cameras. I have a Swaro scope, a 20x wide-angle eyepiece and a Baader/Scopetronics platform adapter - it works, but there are much better adapters available (eg. Leica's, Zeiss's & SRB Griturn's in the UK). My FX01 produces nice prints and is OK for me, but I would advice everyone - before purchasing - to check that they can live with its heavy processing and noise that can be easily seen if you are into pixel-peeping ;).

From your listed camera models I would think that the Nikon 8400 probably has the best image quality. It also has a fast electronic viewfinder, which seems to work even in flight photography. Its drawbacks are slightly short tele end, large size and a requirement of good eye-relief (but the Leica eyepieces should provide you with that).

Nikon 990/995 - Oh for god's sake, NO!

Nikon P4 - Why not. Some have commented that its pics tend to be "soft" in spite of high pixel resolution.

Sony W7 - OK, as are the W40...W100, N1, N2...

Canon SD800IS - this is what I would seriously consider today... never tested myself though.

Fuji F30 - Sharp optics, great sensor, good display, superior low-light performance and battery life. Some ergonomical quirks and noticeable image processing, but the important basics are handled very well. There is a reason why many professionals use this as their pocket camera.

There you go, you can digiscope with any of these with your Leica. Just think about *your* needs, pick a camera and see how it works - if you are not happy, you probably know a lot more about what you would have wanted.

Best of luck, :t:

Ilkka

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back